The Planted Tank Forum banner

Looking for a light for this tank...

966 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  MUTigers
I found this aquarium in my parents basement. It's easily from the mid-to-late 80s but appears to be in very good condition.

It's about 5 gallons and acrylic with only a small hole on the top. I remember it being set up from time to time as a kid and it was last set up 12ish years ago.

At the time the light was shaped like a shell, kind of green/blue color. It held a small, single bulb. It appears the light is gone, my mom thinks it was looking pretty bad, may not have worked.

Any ideas what type of light might work on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See less See more
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Bumping this up...

Anyone with ideas?

I'd probably go with flexible arm pennant style light like this.

I've seen some cool nanos with variations of these. Some have a suction cup you can stick on the tank itself. Or you could make a wood base with a back wall for the light to clip to. Or mount the light to the wall behind the tank. Or find one with a longer neck that you could clip to the table and shine on the tank like this one.
You can get a day light led bulb or cfl to replace stock bulb if you don't like the color that comes with it. This style is nice and easy to swing away to access the tank, and multi use if you decide to not keep that tank going long term. Its also easy to raise or lower to find the sweet spot for light intensity

just some thoughts
I'd probably go with flexible arm pennant style light like this.

I've seen some cool nanos with variations of these. Some have a suction cup you can stick on the tank itself. Or you could make a wood base with a back wall for the light to clip to. Or mount the light to the wall behind the tank. Or find one with a longer neck that you could clip to the table and shine on the tank like this one.
You can get a day light led bulb or cfl to replace stock bulb if you don't like the color that comes with it. This style is nice and easy to swing away to access the tank, and multi use if you decide to not keep that tank going long term. Its also easy to raise or lower to find the sweet spot for light intensity

just some thoughts

Thank you! I was thinking along those lines too.

I'm not sure I will use this tank, just trying to decide if it's feasible. I need to think about filtration too... off to start a thread over there!

Reactions: 1
Another good option, thanks!

If I end up setting up this tank I think a pendant light of some type hanging from the wall is the best idea.

I cleaned the tank today and it really looks nice. Still holds water, so it should make a pretty nice tank!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.