The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hows it going every one i just upgraded to a 26s its dimensions are 36x17x10 i have a coralife T5NO with one 6700k bulb and one colormax bulb in it. i am running a DIY piantball co2 setup with a glass diffuser at about 1bps. seems to be working well and i am dosing N,P and K with the liquid pfertz line. And for micros i am using seachem flourish.

here are the plants I all ready have:
Amazon sword, water wisteri, java moss,red ludwigia, Limnophila Sessilfloria, and hygrophila kompakt. They all seem to be doing ok right now.

i was wondering if you guys could give me a few ideas for a carpeting plant for this setup thanks :biggrin:

heres a pic of the tank as of now:

Attachments

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
Well, dwarf sag sends runners out to wherever it feels like, so you'd have to either manufacture a barrier or continually uproot. In addition, I can't speak for others' experiences, but dwarf sag has never grown incredibly fast for me. It's not predictable (in terms of growth speed or direction), like HC, for example. And, when it starts getting really crowded, it starts growing much higher than the 3 or 4 inches generally claimed.

I do like the plant, though. You can also consider HC, DHG, any lilaeopsis, or stauro. I like them all a lot.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, dwarf sag sends runners out to wherever it feels like, so you'd have to either manufacture a barrier or continually uproot. In addition, I can't speak for others' experiences, but dwarf sag has never grown incredibly fast for me. It's not predictable (in terms of growth speed or direction), like HC, for example. And, when it starts getting really crowded, it starts growing much higher than the 3 or 4 inches generally claimed.

I do like the plant, though. You can also consider HC, DHG, any lilaeopsis, or stauro. I like them all a lot.
hmm ok thanks for the quick reply :icon_smil
what do u think about glosso? and out of the list of plants u mentioned what do u think is the easiest to grow/keep alive?

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
hmm ok thanks for the quick reply :icon_smil
what do u think about glosso? and out of the list of plants u mentioned what do u think is the easiest to grow/keep alive?
Well, I've stumbled at least once with all of them except stauro, but that could just be dumb luck. The issue with stauro is that you have to trim and replant to carpet, but then you get more control over where it goes. I've never tried glosso.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I've stumbled at least once with all of them except stauro, but that could just be dumb luck. The issue with stauro is that you have to trim and replant to carpet, but then you get more control over where it goes. I've never tried glosso.
stauro looks pretty cool does it grow quickly? and it wont spread at all on its own?

·
Registered
65 Posts
as someone before me said: microsword

I've got some of it in my tank and i love the stuff. It grows fantastically and the 2 plants i got have sent out 6 runners with 3 plants each in the 4 weeks I've had it. fish love going between the leaves, too.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
I just planted Staurogyne sp. 'Porto Velho' 12 days ago, it's a slow grower but my fish have left it alone, they pulled up all my DHG and I never had any good luck with D. Sag either.

After a dozen day each plant has 4 new small leaves, but if you get S. Porto Velho or 049 just get enough to cover the area good, the thing I like about either plant over other carpets it has a deep cover for shrimp to hide in for protection in a community tank, good luck.

Here's a link to the 049 seller fs-starougyne-repens

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just planted Staurogyne sp. 'Porto Velho' 12 days ago, it's a slow grower but my fish have left it alone, they pulled up all my DHG and I never had any good luck with D. Sag either.

After a dozen day each plant has 4 new small leaves, but if you get S. Porto Velho or 049 just get enough to cover the area good, the thing I like about either plant over other carpets it has a deep cover for shrimp to hide in for protection in a community tank, good luck.

Here's a link to the 049 seller fs-starougyne-repens
Hmm sounds good srry noob here but what are "S. Porto Velho or 049" are they different types of staru

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.