The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, I am on the hunt for a fish I have never kept. I have kept saltwater and freshwater fish. I want something different and possibly a little bit more challenging. It must be able to fit in a 30 gallon max and must get along with Amano Shrimp! I am just looking for recommendations and tips. Would love it if someone mentioned what they have experience with. I thought about a school of tetras with a center piece fish or some top to medium level swimmers. Thank you!

The fish I am keeping or have kept:

Banjo Catfish
Bettas
Bumblebee Gobies
Chinese Algae Eaters
Cichlids
Cory Catfishes
Endler's Livebearers
Fancy Guppies
Goldfish
Lace Catfish
Loach (I don't remember the type.)
Mollies
Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami
Oscars
Oto Catfish
Platies
Plecos (BN and Regular)
Raphael Catfish (Striped and Spotted)
Red Eye Tetras
Sharks (Redtail and Albino Rainbow)
Swordtails
Zebra Danios

EDIT: P.S. I forgot to mention! Must be plant safe. lol
I thought about some Rams, or glass fish?

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I dont see any species of Rainbowfish on there ;p

Threadfin and Dwarf Neon are great fish, although they are not that challenging. Rams would be good if your Amano's are large enough.

A HUGE group of nano fish such as chili rasbora, or Celestial pearl danio, or cross banded danio would be good

·
Registered
544 Posts
You could try the blue rummynose tetra, not the red and white ones. I don't remember their scientific name at the moment, but I know I have found it on here before.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone! I got the measurements for my tanks of choice.

30" by 12" by 12"---The 20 Gallon Long
30" by 12" by 18"---Looked up, 29 gallons

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
hyalobagrus flavus :)

or maybe something like peacock gudgeons

or something like yunnanilus cruciatus loaches

or something like wild bettas (i like simplex a lot)

or some neat nanofish

dwarf crays (CPO's are colorful and would allow for peaceful fish as well)

i second the pencils, I am a fan of equues

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hyalobagrus flavus :)

or something like wild bettas (i like simplex a lot)
I thought about wild bettas. I have always wanted a pair to trio. I love betta imbellis. But I am not sure where to get them.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will probably get my Amanos first and my schooling fish of choice, first. Then get a centerpiece fish.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I also thought about Killies. What about Hatchets?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe 10 Amano Shrimp, 10 Hatchets, 10 Neon Tetras, and possibly 5 glass/ghost catfish? Would that work?

Edit: Oops, didn't see the two posts above me. Looked up pearl gouramis. They are pretty. I need to think more and visit LFS before I decide I suppose. I thought gourmais were more likely to eat shrimps?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
here you go....
I think the challenge would be Finding them. I would love to find them, seen them on aquabid ONCE.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fish/58072-asian-rummynose-info.html
Asian Rummynose, Sawbwa Barb, Naked Micro Rasbora, and Rummynose Rasbora.
I'm 90% sure I've seen those at the LFS here a couple times. Honestly I thought the common rummy noses they had looked nicer and had more personality, although that's because I like the black/white tails.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I'm 90% sure I've seen those at the LFS here a couple times. Honestly I thought the common rummy noses they had looked nicer and had more personality, although that's because I like the black/white tails.

have you seen the BLUE ones though. Those are the ones I want.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.