The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am new to this forum, and I am also an aquascaping beginner. :D
Recently my boyfriend bought me an ADA cube garden 45-p as an anniversary gift. However, i don't know what kind of filter would be the best for it? the tank is about 10 gallon. He suggests me a canister filter, but the ones i see seem to be too big for a small tank like mine.
By the way, for the lighting, i am thinking about getting nova extreme 18" light (2 T5 bulbs, 36 watts total) would that be appropriate?
Welcome people to look at my 20 gallons tank on my profile and leave some comments. there's still so much for me to learn. :)

Thanks,

Anny

·
Super Moderator
11,976 Posts
Welcome to the forums and welcome to the addictio....I mean hobby ;)

Since your tank is around 10 gallons, I would recommend a canister filter as well. They are much quieter than HOB (hang on the back) type filters. The Eheim 2213 is well suited for this purpose. While it may seem big, it is well suited for ~10 gallon tanks.

For lighting, I would suggest you start off with something a little easier first. With 36 watts of T5 light, you would be growing an algae farm unless you had the proper fertilization and CO2 injection...

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Welcome to TPT!!

I run a Rena XP1 on my own 10gal tank. The current was very strong at first, but now that my plants have all filled in I find it's perfect.

You'll definitely need CO2 and daily fert dosing if you keep the lighting at that level.

I run only 15 watts of T8 (standard flourescent tube) over my own tank, and it works well with no CO2 or ferts needed.

More light means plants grow more quickly, and you need to supply the plants with more nutrients so they won't become deficient.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both of the filters sound great. Thanks for the suggestions. I will be doing a DIY diffuser for my 10 gallon tank, and i have been dosing the seachem series fertilizers (comprehensive, trace elements, potassium, iron, and phosphorus) in my 20 gallon tank. i think i will be doing the same with my 10g tank. would it still be a problem with the lighting? and by the way, what do you guys think of the seachem chemicals?

Anny

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If i have fish in there which produce nitrate, i wouldn't be needing nitrogen right? and when using the chems, can i dose all of them at once? or just dosing them on different days?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Depends. If you're running high light the plants may be growing more quickly than your fish can produce, chances are good you may need to dose to make up the difference. Testing for nitrates would be a good way to figure out if you need to dose or not.

If you go to Seachem's website they've got a dosage chart to follow. Or check out the stickies at the top of the water param & fertilzer forum; you'll need to research just a bit plus do a little trial and error to put together a good fert regimen for your tank.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Either of the filters mentioned earlier would be great for you tank. IMO/IME you are asking for an algae farm with diy co2 on a tank with that kind of lighting. If you want to see my trials and tribulations you can click on the nano cube and mini-m journal in my sig. Maybe you could learn from one of the many mistakes I made before ending up where I have.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Should you decide to use Seachem's fertilizers, here is a dosing calculator that is based on Seachem's dosage chart that lauraleellbp mentioned.

Seachem's dosage chart

Seachem also has some calculators on their site for their line of plant products.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts