The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to inverts, and I'm looking for a good shrimp/snail for my 2.5 gallon planted betta tank. Early on I tested my betta Oberon's compatibility with some ghost shrimp and he chased them a bit when I fist added them, but then lost interest, so I know now that he is shrimp safe. They didn't really do a very good job of cleaning the tank though, and now they're dead so I'm looking for a better cleanup crew. I would really like one that will eat dead plant matter and algae. So far I'm looking at Amano shrimp, Malaysian trumpet snails, or an apple snail. I'm leaning towards the Amano shrimp because they seem to be the option that puts the least strain on the bioload (I hear that apple snails poop a LOT) but do they do a good job of cleaning up dead plant matter and is there a better shrimp for my needs? Suggestions please! :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about Nerites? I find them to be my most effective cleaners. And Otos. But you're not asking about fish...
Haha yeah, I don't think that a 2.5 will be enough for a betta AND Otos. XD Will Nerites eat my healthy plants too though? That's mostly what I'm worried about with snails, aside from all the waste some of them produce.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Haha yeah, I don't think that a 2.5 will be enough for a betta AND Otos. XD Will Nerites eat my healthy plants too though? That's mostly what I'm worried about with snails, aside from all the waste some of them produce.
The nerites won't eat healthy plants, only dying plant matter. They're my favorite snails. They come in several shapes and sizes and they also eat algae! As for shrimp, why not try Red Cherry Shrimp? They're very cheap (compared to Amanos) and they breed prolifically (like roaches). They're also very easy to care for. With enough plants, they should be able to easily get away from the betta it does decide to chase them down for a hearty snack. Simply feeding the betta on a regular time schedule will cut down on a lot of losses if it does catch a shrimp.

I would recommend against mts or ramshorn. They reproduce really fast and eventually with so many snails in a tiny tank, they can cause your pH to crash and can result in the death of your betta along with your shrimp. Nerites can't reproduce without brackish/saltwater so you'll be fine with 1 nerite for that size of a tank. You can always add more if you like them. 1 nerite cleaned up the algae in my 5gal nicely.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have Amano shrimp and netrite snails as my clean up crew. I also have 3 green cory cats there excellent. There bigger so they wouldn't fit in a 2.5 g

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.