The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a few nano tanks and need a buffering substrate for my terrible water here. I have only ever used Eco-Complete so I would like to try something like Aqua Soil, but with lower cost.
I see that Controsoil and Fluval Stratum are options, but are there any others that I should consider?
Are there any that don't turn to mud in a few months? I need about 15L of soil for my 3 tanks.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I am building a few nano tanks and need a buffering substrate for my terrible water here. I have only ever used Eco-Complete so I would like to try something like Aqua Soil, but with lower cost.
I see that Controsoil and Fluval Stratum are options, but are there any others that I should consider?
Are there any that don't turn to mud in a few months? I need about 15L of soil for my 3 tanks.

Stratum won’t turn. I have had it for about 6 months and it looks the same. I see bad reviews for it but can’t figure why myself. I also use landens aquasoil (try to find it on sale like I did) and it grows plants very well and holds a steady ph over the last year (I use ro water remin with no added kh on either soil)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went ahead and got some Stratum. It was fairly cheap at Petco this week and got the 17.6lb bag for $40. I figure I can test it with one tank first and see if I like it. I will keep an eye out for Landen's but it is really pricey right now.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I like stratum. Consider looking at setting up an RODI water system if you have hard water though. Having soft and filtered water is only second to a quality CO2 system for planted success in my experience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.