The Planted Tank Forum banner

Looking for a big schooler

3216 30
I'm looking for a big centerpiece schooler fish for my 46g heavily planted. A schooling fish, but one that is larger than cardinals or rummynose.

I need it to get along with smaller tetras like cardinals, not nip at plants too much, and be a peaceful as possible.

Any suggestions?
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
There are several rainbowfish that could work very nice in there. Some are louder in color then others but mine do school and they have not bothered the smaller fish in the tank. I have both dwarf neons and australians.

queensalmon

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd love rainbows, unfortunately there isn't a pet store around that sells dwarf neons for under $20 a piece. I love the fish, but I can't afford a school of even 6 or 8.

Diamond tetras and congo tetras sound nice. Do congos eat plant leaves?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wow - $20.00 each is quite high. I don't think I'd go for the neons for that either. The congos are a great suggestion too... wonder what they run? Mine got pretty big, and if I remember right they did like a little "salad" too.

queensalmon

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you have a Big Al's near you? My local outlet had them for 2.99 each.

:thumbsup:
I do, its about an hour drive from me, so I don't go up there often. Last time I went was last month, and they had the neons for $17.99 I believe. That an the gas money up there pretty much comes to $20 anyways...

·
Registered
51 Posts
The pearl gourami is a beautiful fish that is not too hard to keep and quite peaceful. They may not "school" but will "gather" for interesting viewing. You may want to consider them. I always found them interesting and beautiful without being TOO flashy for my tanks.

queensalmon

·
Registered
231 Posts
Congos school very well, but a large school of congos is too small for a 46G. Also, I heard that the rainbows hover and don't really school.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.