The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching the webs for test kits. The only test kit I have found so far is the Api Master and Sera Aqua test kits. Do you guys have any recommendations for an all in one test kit or do you get the individual test kits for potassium, iron, etc?

·
Registered
571 Posts
I use the API master kit and also their GH/KH tests. I use pretty much all the tests, some more than others. I don't feel I need to micromanage things more than that, but my tanks we're designed to be robust/forgiving. I may get a TDS meter and maybe a phosphate test with my next tank, but they are nice-to-haves rather than necessities.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
The api master test kit plus gh/kh and tds meter is all you ever need. The other tests are either not needed or historically very inaccurate. Freshwater is a bit different in this regard then say a saltwater tank where some of the things we don't measure in freshwater is life or death in saltwater.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies minorhero & ElleDee. I have the Api master & gh/kh test kits, curious if anyone was testIng other parameters on the regular. I started using seachem equilibrium couple weeks ago to remineralize RO water and I want to feed my plants (aquarium co op easy green) but have concerns about too much potassium. I guess my fish and plants will tell me when somethings up. Some of my plants are going crazy others not so much. The learning curve continues!

I hope to progress to customizing fertilizer and minerals for my tanks, but I’m not there yet and also have lots of stuff to use up.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Thanks for the replies minorhero & ElleDee. I have the Api master & gh/kh test kits, curious if anyone was testIng other parameters on the regular. I started using seachem equilibrium couple weeks ago to remineralize RO water and I want to feed my plants (aquarium co op easy green) but have concerns about too much potassium. I guess my fish and plants will tell me when somethings up. Some of my plants are going crazy others not so much. The learning curve continues!

I hope to progress to customizing fertilizer and minerals for my tanks, but I’m not there yet and also have lots of stuff to use up.
I am guessing you come from a saltwater background?

In freshwater it's essentially impossible to overdose potassium without doing something really weird. If you are doing regular water changes and following dosing instructions on your easy green then you are good on potassium.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am guessing you come from a saltwater background?

In freshwater it's essentially impossible to overdose potassium without doing something really weird. If you are doing regular water changes and following dosing instructions on your easy green then you are good on potassium.
No, never had a saltwater tank. Had a couple freshwater tanks 30-40 years ago. We started off with a couple bettas we rescued 3 years ago from our neighbor who left them out in the blazing sun In bowls. And we have gotten more and more involved In the hobby to the point now we want planted tanks, like the gorgeous ones posted here, even hough I dont have the artistic and creative eye to make one. But i at least want To have healthy good looking plants and fish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.