The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just moved here, looking for a 120-150 gallon aquarium to get
wet in again! prefer oceanic, or acrylic tank w/ stand and hood
oak if possible. Also if anyone knows a good lfs let me know.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Welcome to town!
Good to see another planted tank member here.
I dont know where you moved from but some of the "better" LFS here to go to are:
Alamo Aquatics
Fintique
Texas Tropical
Awauna Pets
Forever pets

There not high class stores but thats pretty much all there is here.
Alamo Aquatics has a better variety of everything and IMO have the best plant selection in town. They kee them in a tank with plenty of light, cO2, and eco-complete substrate.

Fintique has some plants in but its best to grab them when they first arrive. The tanks they hold them in are in poor condition and they dont last long in there. Did I mention this place is DIRT cheap? Best prices in town if your on a budget.

If your bored on a Sunday or something take a trip to Austin, they have some better stores over there. Only about an hour drive.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes, Fintique has fantastic prices on fish, and you can watch their website to see what's newly arrived. The staff is pretty friendly, too, and open to inquiries about special ordering select species. Good prices on tanks, too. The plants leave much to be desired...but why complain when there are so many good points about the place?

Check out Austin's Craiglist...right now there are some very nicely-priced tanks--a 120-g with stand for $400, a 130-g with stand for $250, and a 90-g Oceanic with stand and metal halide for $400! I can search Craigslist and dream all day....

Make a day of it in Austin and visit Amazonia (lower prices) and AquaTek (more uncommon fish).

·
Registered
376 Posts
dave's rare aquarium fish mostly does cichlids but they have low light plants too. theres all sorts of aponogetans and anubias, swords too

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you heading out to aquatek, I advise you take out a loan. Those guys arent cheap.
Heh. Ok, true for the most part. However, if you poke around you might find some decent prices. My Dicrossus filamentosas were inexpensive. Also, i've noticed a lot of seasonal variation in their prices...much more competitive in summer, often too pricey in winter. I wish their plant selection were as good as their fishes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts