The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to setup a lowtech 30g Long brackish tank for a single Figure 8 puffer. I want to go with java ferns and anubias for plants. Will a single 21 watt t5 6500k bulb and a single 21 watt t5 colormax bulb do the trick? With dosing excel of course. Thanks

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
you've got a good idea there. i've been wanting to do this exact same thing for a while now. the ferns will probably do fine. the anubias probably won't(didn't like the salt very much when i tried it once). you might also consider getting the fixture up over the tank 10-12" to not have to deal with algae. just one more thing, i had figure8 one time that loved to take bites out of every thing. use a ton of ferns/go easy on the salinity.

be sure and start a journal!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I had read figure 8 puffers do just fine in water with a SG of 1.005 and anubias, java ferns (apparently naturally a brackish plant?) and quite a few other plants do just fine in that salinity.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I have 1 t8 bulb over my 30g and I keep a variety of higher light demand plants than those you listed so I think you'll have more than enough light with your setup, in fact, without fast growing stems, you may actually run into the opposite problem of having too much light, and as oldpunk said, having some algae troubles.

Also, (and look this up because i'm not positive) but I think i've read that crypts will do ok in brackish water as well.

Sounds like a very cool project, I too hope you start a journal!

·
Registered
791 Posts
From what I had read figure 8 puffers do just fine in water with a SG of 1.005 and anubias, java ferns (apparently naturally a brackish plant?) and quite a few other plants do just fine in that salinity.
I've had a 5g brackish tank for about a 3 weeks now (hoping to breed some nerites). I've added 1tbs of marine salt a day, and it's up to about 1.012 now:

• The java ferns are still doing fine.
  • Sag started having problems around 1.010, although it never has grown much in this low tech tank. It's starting to die back a bit now, with no new growth to keep it going.
  • The Anubias Congensis seemed fine up to about 1.008, when I started noticing the leaves turning brown. Leave were mostly dead by 1.011, so I yanked it, pruned the leaves, and am hoping it will recover in some fresh water.
  • I dropped an Anubias nana in when the tank when it was at about 1.008 (gave it about a day to acclimate in increasingly brackish water). It still looks fine now after about a week.
  • Tried a banana plant, which started to suffer around 1.005, so I pulled it out.
I'd like to give crypts a try.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.