The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think there is a longer title out there for a thread...
I've been a long time lurker on this forum, but thought I would make a thread on the progress of the new plecos I got.

There are 3, and they are all about 1 inch long in body length. they are set up in a 20 gallon planted tank by themselves.

here is where I don't know what I am doing. What should I feed these little things?

I know that I can feed them cucumber and zucchini. What else can I feed them so that they grow up happy and fast?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Algae wafers should be a good diet. Also try putting some rocks in water in a container that gets a lot of sunlight, in a week or so they should have a lot of algae that the plecos can munch on. Frequent water changes also help fish grow quickly.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
If you want them to put on some weight quick, feed them a mix of blanched veggies, spirulina, and believe it or not, earth worm sticks. A local guy, 'Pleco Dave' breeds just about any pleco you can imagine and he swears by the earthworm sticks!

I buy most of my pleocs from him, including BN plecos and all are super healthy an look great.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Aren't bristlenose plecos one of the kinds that needs wood to chew on? Mine really gets the wood in the tank worn down.

My baby calicos feed with the other fish in the tank when algae wafers and catfish sticks are on offer. Never had any do that before!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the feeding tips!!! I will look into those earthworm sticks, is there a website you would recommend me getting them from? The algae waffers I am using, the first ingredient is spurilina.

I have drift wood already in the tank.

Thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
If you want plecos to grow, feed them zucchini. Babies I got two months ago are not much smaller than babies I got last August. I didn't start zucchini until I got the new fish.

I alternate Ken's Fish Earthworm sticks, Brine Shrimp sticks, and algae wafers.
By the way, the first ingredient in almost every algae wafer if fish meal. ;-)

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
The better algae wafers start with spirulina or algae. I prefer OSI.
You could cut up a zucchini, blanch it in the microwave and store in freezer. They will stick together if frozen stacked. Take one and swish it in the tank water, squeeze it to push out the air if you want it to drop faster.

My baby bristlenose are in with shrimp and both love the stuff. I also add algae covered plants and hardscape to their tank.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like earthworm sticks are the way to go. I'll see about getting these soon.

today they munched on a slice of cucumber. They don't seem to realize its food yet... they take a couple bites and then move on. Maybe they are just not hungery?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Any of you keep L128s? If so, what do you feed it? I've had my blue phantom for about a year (started at about 1 1/2 inches, now perhaps an inch longer) and it likes shrimp and algae pellets and occasionally will nibble on the frozen and blanched zuccini I place in there from time to time. Doesn't seem to touch cucumber, sweet potato or green beans...it may eat the peas I have put in but it's hard to tell with all the snails I have in there.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.