The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having been mostly a nano guy for the last 2+ year of my time in the hobby. I always dreamt of having a bigger tank and as I always like to do, planned ahead for bigger tank in my head. After a year or so of planning, acquiring the tank, equipment, stand build, etc its finally come to fruition. Here's my new Landen 90p. Fully scaped and running today. It's very immature at the moment only at about 3 weeks. I'm still tweaking light, co2... Even plants. I am planning on entering the layout(if successful) to IAPLC for 2016. I will list equipment, plants etc in another post. Let me know what you think?!
Pic of DIY stand.

Layout at 3 weeks.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Long Wait -- New Project 90p

Plants: (some not pictured are behind rocks/wood)
Hygrophilia pinatiffida
[STRIKE]Cryptocoryne crispatulata var. Tonkinensis[/STRIKE] added Crypt green and crypt retrospiralis(hoping to grow it tall)
hygro 'argauia'
Hygro polysperma
Ludwigia 'red'
Ludwigia glandulosa
Limnophila aromatica
Didplis diandra
Bucephalandra 'mini catherineae'
Bucephalandra 'Apple leaf'
Crypt pygmea
Moss
Fissidens
Bolbitis heudelotii
Java fern trident

·
Registered
489 Posts
Looking good! How are you feeling thus far about the Landen 90P? The quality looks pretty good to me and I've heard rumors that they may be made at the same manufacturer in China as ADA's tanks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Nice layout! Really like the arch formed by the roots. All in all it looks very natural imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking good , I use landen tanks for many years nothing wrong with the company. The only thing I would change is moving the in and outflow to the back of the tank . Cheers

Hey thanks! If I were to move the inflow/outflow to the back then there would be too much flow over my stems and it may cause them to sway to much or even uproot. The tank is still immature. I have my skimmer flow on the back end of the tank which creates enough flow to gently sway the plants but not so much that they get tossed around.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do you mind me asking where you got your tank? Local fish store or shipped? I've been looking for a 90p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Long Wait -- New Project 90p

just a couple of quick updates. plants are growing great, although my ludwigia glandulosa is not as red as I would like. I raised the peak of my lighting period to three hours. considering 4 hours. but I am doing it slowly as to not cause an algae outbreak. my co2 is pumping and i have slight surface agitation ripples without splashing. Ive since added 34 paracheirodon simulans to this layout and they really seem to sparkle under the blue LEDs.

12/12 shot before trim

trim from last weekend- already seeing new growth

green neon under blue LEDs

·
Registered
57 Posts
Having been mostly a nano guy for the last 2+ year of my time in the hobby. I always dreamt of having a bigger tank and as I always like to do, planned ahead for bigger tank in my head. After a year or so of planning, acquiring the tank, equipment, stand build, etc its finally come to fruition. Here's my new Landen 90p. Fully scaped and running today. It's very immature at the moment only at about 3 weeks. I'm still tweaking light, co2... Even plants. I am planning on entering the layout(if successful) to IAPLC for 2016. I will list equipment, plants etc in another post. Let me know what you think?!
Pic of DIY stand.
Looking fantastic. Things will grow in in time and before you know it you will have more trimmings than you know what to do with.

Its such a great feeling to finally get it setup after the planning and building.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Thank you mot especially from you. Your tanks are inspirational. No matter what I am going to enter my tank. It doesn't hurt ! More of us from the US should.
Absolutely. So few entries from the US and it has been declining.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Been a long time in between posts. Lots going on at the home front. I am pleased to say that things couldn't be going any better in this layout. I acquired a pair of apistogramma trifasciata and they are starting to color up nicely. I am hoping to get the hygrophila pinnatifida to start growing more compact by frequent trimmings. its by far the fastest grower in the tank besides the hygro green in the background. It’s a challenge to keep it at bay, any tips?

pic from last sunday after trimming.

Bump: I need to get a better camera. These are all iphone shots. So I apologize for the poor quality. here is the apisto male.

Bump:

·
Registered
691 Posts
hey frrok. Its looking good. Pinnatifida is a tough one as you are finding out. Ive had the same issue and ended up pulling it. To only find it come back within weeks. It is quite aggressive and spreads quickly with runners. Your best bet is to just keep aggressively trimming it. You can get it to bush out a bit like any stem plant by cutting just above a node and it will send out new shoots. You can replant tops if you want.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hey frrok. Its looking good. Pinnatifida is a tough one as you are finding out. Ive had the same issue and ended up pulling it. To only find it come back within weeks. It is quite aggressive and spreads quickly with runners. Your best bet is to just keep aggressively trimming it. You can get it to bush out a bit like any stem plant by cutting just above a node and it will send out new shoots. You can replant tops if you want.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the feedback. That's what Ive been doing but maybe not aggressive enough. I want to make sure it gives me the right look. I've also noticed that it grows better on hardscape rather the substrate. In the substrate it seems to grow slower.

I also googled some images and noticed that there is a few photos of it where it seems to grow smaller and much redder. But I'm not sure if that is a different species.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Yea. I find that the runners send out there first sets of leaves are typically red and bushier. And it does grab hardscape very well and can actually be hard to pull off.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Looking very nice!

I've got pinnatifada growing under some pretty high lights planted in substrate but most leaning against hardscape in the hope they'll attach.
I've only had them in for about a week and a half now but for me it seems that the new shoots are much more copper colored then the older leaves. It also grows more and more compact as it gets settled so high light does the job I'd say..

Frrok have you entered scapes in contests before?
mind taking a look at mine giving me some pointers?
link in my signature

1 - 20 of 46 Posts