The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3.5 week vacation coming up and I anticipate to come home to a tank in need of disaster relief. Our house sitter is not in the tank hobby so I'm trying to make it as simple as possible... HA!

10 gallon Excel based with EI dosing. 50% weekly wc. Inhabits only 2 ghost shrimp and 1 nerite snail. I'm worried about the plants and water quality. I'm battling diatoms, BBA, and some fine hair algae at this time and don't want to come back to a tank overrun with it.

Any advise on preventative measures to take for best chance of success? Add purgen to the HOB filter?

I mix RO and TAP 50/50. For simplicity would it be ok to use 100% TAP water for 2 water changes or is that asking for trouble?

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm going for "survival mode."

I will probably set the light timer for 4 hrs. Have our friend do 50% wc twice with all TAP water (Prime of course). Feed the shrimps sparingly every day or 2.

No Excel, ferts, or RO water. Be mentally prepared for a mess when I get back.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
If you have time, try out whatever you plan before going on vacation, reduced photo period, no water changes, no fets, etc and see if you get any problems develop.

If it were me I would skip the water changes, reduce the photo period, and just have the house sitter topbf the water and feed ever couple days. Get a weekly pill container and put food on it and tell them to feed one day at a time

1 - 3 of 3 Posts