The Planted Tank Forum banner

long-jawed orb weaver spider having dinner

1627 12
Hi all,

I have discovered that I really like photographing spiders... they are pretty darn interesting critters—both in behaviour and appearance. Plus of course many species are ambush predators that sit in one place and wait for prey to come along (sit-and-wait predators). The nice thing about that is they also tend to sit and wait for photographers to come along too! Even better, they aren’t secretive about feeding, which makes for interesting pictures...I posted this photo of a long-jawed orb weaver on my blog last night.

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

long fanged orb spider and prey edited copyright Ernie Cooper 2012 sm for post by ernie.cooper, on Flickr
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Great photo! I love all bugs. Used to work at a butterfly farm, had my own bug show business for a while, been keeping pet bugs for about 15 years and I've traded and sold bugs online for about that long too.
I only WISH I had taken photos of all the amazing animals I've had over the years.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
'Solitary wasp'. Haha! Solitary being the key word there.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great photo! I love all bugs. Used to work at a butterfly farm, had my own bug show business for a while, been keeping pet bugs for about 15 years and I've traded and sold bugs online for about that long too.
I only WISH I had taken photos of all the amazing animals I've had over the years.
No kidding? Cool! When I got out of university back in the 80’s (yes I am dating myself) I couldn’t find steady work. So a friend and I started working on developing an insectarium (insect zoo). We never actually managed it, but I learned a lot and developed a real interest in arthropods. Plus, the contacts I made got me a good job at a public aquarium that launched my career.

Are you still keeping and selling bugs?

EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.