The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're moving from California to Tennessee in about a month. I've been researching different moving methods and am having trouble deciding. Gas prices are high, so I'm not sure a U-Haul capable of towing my car would be a good idea.

We have two cars, a small apartment worth of furniture, and a limited budget.

Any experience and/or recommendations?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
you can try some of the companys that store your items in a container like pods some an have them shipped toyour new home, then going to have to drive both cars or sell and get new ones there if you dont want to drive.

ive had cars shipped and it was like 600 from phx to denver, but you dont have to spend the time driving which can suck if you dont enjoy it and/or have little ones as im sure u know its going to be a long drive. and if u do drive dont speed in the indian reservations!! and depending on what u drive u might be able to do the pod thing an just drive one car and car dolly the other behind you prob be you best bet for cost and less headache imo but do your homework on it.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
some friends of ours moved from FL to CO they drove their car and all their stuff was moved via a moving company that uses the bigger transfer trucks. I bet the military paid for the move though.

If it was me I would probably drive one car and get a large u-haul and tow the other car behind it.

No matter what way you do it from my experience moving isn't cheap.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you can try some of the companys that store your items in a container like pods some an have them shipped toyour new home, then going to have to drive both cars or sell and get new ones there if you dont want to drive.

ive had cars shipped and it was like 600 from phx to denver, but you dont have to spend the time driving which can suck if you dont enjoy it and/or have little ones as im sure u know its going to be a long drive. and if u do drive dont speed in the indian reservations!! and depending on what u drive u might be able to do the pod thing an just drive one car and car dolly the other behind you prob be you best bet for cost and less headache imo but do your homework on it.
Thanks for your suggestions.

The "pod company" quoted me at about $5,000, which is double the price of other options. Don't think the comparative utils are worth the price.

some friends of ours moved from FL to CO they drove their car and all their stuff was moved via a moving company that uses the bigger transfer trucks. I bet the military paid for the move though.

If it was me I would probably drive one car and get a large u-haul and tow the other car behind it.

No matter what way you do it from my experience moving isn't cheap.
Thank you for sharing. I'm looking in to a similar moving company. Seems like it might be my best option.

I know increased fuel prices are part of all options, but it seems the UHAUL truck is as expensive as the self-load transport company (not the pod), without fuel included.

I know it's not a common thing to do, but does anyone else have experience?

·
Registered
804 Posts
It's crazy how expensive them "Pod" places are, huh? I would say sell your furniture and big stuff and use the 2 cars to mave with. There is always Craigslist to restock your new apartment. I could restock it for free:) Not with a tank though, usually, so you better bring that with you:hihi: You can, afterall, fill it with clothes eliminating the space it would take up while empty.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
When we moved from Ohio to LA, we rented a truck and towed our car. That was 11 years ago. When we moved from LA to Houston, we rented a truck and one of us drove the truck towing one car while the other drove the second car. That was five years ago.

Both times it was really the least expensive option for us.

·
GEEK
664 Posts
I moved from Colorado to California about a year ago. I had a moving company take the bulk of my stuff. We drove two vehicles loaded with smaller stuff and the pets (and fish and plants in buckets). I packed my stuff in the free recycled boxes the moving company gave me to save $, they loaded/drove/unloaded my stuff and it was all less than $2500. I also downgraded from a 3 bedroom to a 2 bedroom place, so I sold off half my stuff before the move.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What part of TN are you moving to?
Chattanooga!

Sorry for the late reposnse. We found a California company that will move us for a couple grand. Helluva deal, imo.

We are taking the opportunity to camp at a few sites along the way. Cheaper and much more scenic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts