The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pertinent Fact: I have a 10 gallon tank with a soon to be thriving moss lawn and loads of snails (which need unloading). I decided on Zebra Loaches for the snails because of their small size and good reputation for de-snailing.

Question: Due to the size of my tank, I don't want more Zebra loaches than necessary, but I also don't want a sad lonely Zebra Loach. Is 2 enough to keep them happy? Also, will they destroy my moss lawn?

Thanks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If the main reason for loaches is de-snailing, I'm not sure if khulis will do the trick. I have 3 in a 50 gallon and they don't seem to dent the snail population. In fact the snail population has exploded while the khulis have been in there. I do feed a lot though.:icon_roll

·
Registered
357 Posts
10 Gallons is TOO SMALL for even sidthimunki. Yoyo's (b. almorhae) get twice as big as zebra loaches(b. striata). Please find another solution to your snail problem.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not to rain on your parade, but a 10 gallon is way too small for any type of loach. Loaches are very active fish, need a lot of space to swim, and love current. Loaches also need to be in groups of at least 5 as they are very social. If you are still interested in keeping loaches, I would suggest going to loaches.com. They've got a whole lot of information on them and there's also a forum. But I would not suggest getting loaches just to a snail problem. It's really not fair to the loaches.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thank you all for the feedback. What are the cons to assassin snails? Do they eat plants when they're finished with the other snails? Also, I have pretty soft water (GH) while my KH is around 3.5, is that a problem for assassin snails? How many should I get?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have no snails, just wanted to add that I have had a lone Kuhli Loach for almost 11 and a half years (10 years being their average life span.)
With such longevity, if they like snails that would be a bonus.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
No loach is suitable for a 10G.

Have you tried the low-tech approach of squishing the snails, or baiting, or not overfeeding?

Try that first and get back to me if it fails.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No loach is suitable for a 10G.

Have you tried the low-tech approach of squishing the snails, or baiting, or not overfeeding?

Try that first and get back to me if it fails.

I don't have the heart for squishing, but the reduced feeding and picking them out has reduced their numbers so that I can't even find them now.

Thanks for the tip.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts