The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in DC where there aren't Neos swimming in our rivers and streams like in Hawaii but we do have Grass Shrimp which are related to Ghost Shrimp. I was thinking would it be feasible to try to breed these guys for a different color than wild? I mean Honestly, it might be the same as trying to breed a color out of ghost shrimp which might be impossible or not a good idea but it's a cool thought. Mainly I wanted to start a discussion of what shrimp, people can catch near where they are.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
did a quick search to see if my area had any and found the scientific name:

Palaemonetes kadiakensis

not much to look at. But, i say go for it. If you want to catch me a bunch as well I'll pay for shipping up to the philly area. I can afford to toss them in a tank and try to separate out mutations.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think it would be an interesting experiment for sure however from everything i've read its pretty difficult and completely different from from your normal dwarf shrimp breeding, including salinity and a larvae stage.

·
Registered
219 Posts
did a quick search to see if my area had any and found the scientific name:

Palaemonetes kadiakensis

not much to look at. But, i say go for it. If you want to catch me a bunch as well I'll pay for shipping up to the philly area. I can afford to toss them in a tank and try to separate out mutations.

AHHHHH>>>>CAUTION!!!!
There are VERY severe laws regarding the trade, sale and transportation of indigenous wild life period...mush less across state lines which can be a felony. I urge anyone interested to DO YOUR RESEARCH!

Cool idea none the less

·
Registered
2,458 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have some ghost shrimp and they have changed colors over time. I have one that is pretty brown colored almost chocolate I would say. I have a couple others that are a greenish tint. I think it is possible it may take a while though. Isolating the colors etc.

As for breeding them, I would assume the breeding is similar to ghost shrimp in that they hatch in a larval form. The tricky part of breeding them is to provide a of easily accessible good like green water culture or infusoria. And they can't have any predators, they are not good swimmers when they hatch, they bob around in the water column. I occasionally have ghost shrimp babies, but only a small amount survive, maybe 1 or 2 from each hatching. This is mainly due to not much green water or infusoria in most peoples tanks. But it can be done.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I have some ghost shrimp and they have changed colors over time. I have one that is pretty brown colored almost chocolate I would say. I have a couple others that are a greenish tint. I think it is possible it may take a while though. Isolating the colors etc.

As for breeding them, I would assume the breeding is similar to ghost shrimp in that they hatch in a larval form. The tricky part of breeding them is to provide a of easily accessible good like green water culture or infusoria. And they can't have any predators, they are not good swimmers when they hatch, they bob around in the water column. I occasionally have ghost shrimp babies, but only a small amount survive, maybe 1 or 2 from each hatching. This is mainly due to not much green water or infusoria in most peoples tanks. But it can be done.
if they are anything like amano shrimp, depending on what their diet is will determine what color they will be

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.