The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first time aquarist here and I could use some help on my local water readings (Dover, Kent. UK). I am planning on dosing EI daily once my aquarium is set up.

My water is classed as ''VERY HARD'' (not surprising considering I live on top of chalky cliffs!) Do I need to tackle this high level?

Also what do the other readings look like? Is there anything I will need more of or less of when I dose?

Set up consists of 100L tank with medium light (72W CFL) and DIY Co2. Will be quite heavily planted with HC as carpet hopefully. Pool Filter Sand as the only substrate. Haven't chosen fish yet, will be the last thing I decide on once the tank is planted.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks all :proud:

Attachments

·
Registered
634 Posts
pH, KH? Looks Good... So Far...

Hi,

Your water is very hard and Calcium makes up nearly all of it and good high Nitrates.

Going with livebearers, hard water critters and plants, no need for Calcium or Nitrate dosing; generally, it looks like good water.

Do you know the pH and KH (or Alkalinity)?

Respectfully,
Joe
FBTB

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply! I don't know the ph or kh yet but when I find them out what would low reading mean and what would high readings mean? I'm guessing it's more alkaline due to the hardness of it?

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
Interesting to see a report from other countries. first thing I spotted was the chlorine allowed. Rather surprised to see no limit on that. In the states it is a very hotly debated item and regs call for it to be carefully controlled between 3 and 10 PPM. I'm reading it wrong or totally different outlook??
For PH 7.0 is called "neutral" and as a guess I might expect your water to test out as 7.8 or so. But then that is a guess!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting to see a report from other countries. first thing I spotted was the chlorine allowed. Rather surprised to see no limit on that. In the states it is a very hotly debated item and regs call for it to be carefully controlled between 3 and 10 PPM. I'm reading it wrong or totally different outlook??
For PH 7.0 is called "neutral" and as a guess I might expect your water to test out as 7.8 or so. But then that is a guess!

I don't think chlorine levels are anything which is debated at all here. Not that I'm aware of anyway. Maybe it should be though :confused:

Just tested my pH, it's around 7.5ish so you're pretty much right, nice one.

Bump:
Hi,

Your water is very hard and Calcium makes up nearly all of it and good high Nitrates.

Going with livebearers, hard water critters and plants, no need for Calcium or Nitrate dosing; generally, it looks like good water.

Do you know the pH and KH (or Alkalinity)?

Respectfully,
Joe
FBTB
Hey, I just measured my pH and KH. pH is around 7.5 and KH is 13 German Degrees. Is that okay? Do I need to do anything to tackle this? Thanks again

·
Registered
634 Posts
Sorry If Information Offends, I do Not Mean to Offend

Hi graveey,

I think you simply have hard water, unless you are into some sensitive species, your water is just fine. No need to dose Nitrates

PlantedRich, indeed there is much concern about Chlorine in the US, the Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA) of 1974 had non-enforceable health goals regarding residual disinfectants based on possible health risks and exposure over a lifetime. This led to maximum residual disinfectant level goals (MRDLG). In 1996, SDWA was amended to “balance” risk of disinfection byproducts (DBP) with microbial pathogens.

The EPA established highly enforceable regulations, known as Stage 1 DBP rules, EPA 815-F-98-010, EPA 815-F-98-009, December 1998 called maximum residual disinfectant level (MRDL). Stage 2 DBP rules EPA 815-F-05-003, December 2005 seeks to limit DBP exposure specifically total trihalomethanes (TTHM) and five haloacetic acids (HAA5).

The result is that in the US the MRDL is 4-ppm Chlorine (as Cl2), 4-ppm Chloramine (as Cl2) and 0.8-ppm Chlorine dioxide (as ClO2). It should be noted that generally 0.2-ppm Chlorine is the minimum residual disinfectant required leaving the treatment plant. Any state may set more stringent rules.

The UK operates on a less formal set of rules, while the European Union is moving away from Chlorine entirely.

Not sure, this helps… Oh well… I am part of a group being excoriated for providing additional information, particularly, if it can be documented, in another thread. I mean no harm.

Respectfully,
Joe
FBTB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts