The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm not sure what it technically is (vernal pool, marsh, swamp, pond, etc), but this little gem has been hiding behind my place of work unnoticed by me for over five years:

I'm excited to see what grows here and how it looks as the seasons progress. Haven't found any non-plant life, yet. I've already started taking pictures of plants starting to grow, can anyone identify anything?

Symplocarpus foetidus (skunk cabbage)

Subwassertang? and sphagnum?

Nasturtium officinale (watercress)

daylily or ditch lily?

Alliaria petiolata (garlic mustard) and crocus?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
That fourth picture looks real interesting. Looks like there is some wild Subwassertang
in there/w some form of this mixed in.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=14289&pictureid=56610

Don't know that aria of course but it looks like Bulldozer tracks are in it. Seems like more of an occasionally flooded aria from rain
or etc but may hold water more often than not. But just re-evaluated it and looking at the closest bulldozer track at about center
pictur you see a shadow of a tree. Not the real clear one on the rigt but the far left one. Now follow it up to that tree which
it goes to. That looks like a Gum tree. They usually only grow in or very near water. Could hold water year round. Also looks a
bit deeper towards the back. Usually, if it's flooded all year or most of it, it's a great place to find Daphnia for fish food.
May contain Fairy shrimp. If it's convenient, walk out there just before sundown and look at the surface action. Then you will
see if there are any fish/minnows etc.
I have a digtal camera which can be used as a cam-corder. If yours can, and you can turn off the video light or however turn down the light it records so the battery will last the longest and find a log to sit it on. Wait till the beginning of next month to do this.That aria is full of tree frogs and just before a rain or during mating season in May it will be so loud in there you won't believe it.
I recorder this near my house(in just such a spot) and I downloaded it to my computer in Windows media player. Now when I want
to I set it to run continuous and play it soft to sleep by. If I fully charge the batteries thay last one hr like that. The hardest part is if it's far from traffic so you don't pick it up also.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I can show a link in my profile albums but this one is from my gallery pictures and I don't know how to show it. That try didn't work obviously.

Thee I up-loaded it to my profile album and then changed the link. Try it again.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the IDs! I will look them up for more info, for sure.

Your picture does work now, and I agree it looks similar. I think it's sphagnum moss, but just a guess...

One of these days where I work late, I might be able to go out right before sunset, thanks for that tip. I do hear frogs in the area. I don't think the water gets more than maybe a foot deep, from what I can see... I don't think there would be bulldozers driving through there, except maybe a long long time ago. It's a small forested patch between a retirement community and some housing.
Here's a couple more random shots of the area:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd agree with those IDs, dmagerl, from what pictures I can find. The crocus must be an autumn crocus, as our spring ones have definitely bloomed already... The stock does seem more like a daylily than a thicker iris, too.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Raymond -

Your pics show fine for me. Go to the gallery where you put the pic. Click on the pic, once it is showing, right click on it and select "copy image URL" if using Chrome, if IE click on properties, when the window pops up you will see the long URL of your pic, highlight and copy. Once you have it copied, come to your thread, select post response, when the window pops up, chose the yellow and black icon that looks like a mountain scene, when the window pops up, right click and paste your pic URL in the window and you are done.

Once you got it figured out it is easy. If you aren't used to do it, you may need some practice. You can also make a free photobucket account and post your pics there. Sometimes easier overall, but the same process to get the pics in your thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.