I am not sure. I did surveillance on the other tanks and originally did not see the same bug in them. There were other creepy crawlies (as is always the case with tanks, but not those guys). So I treated the shrimp tank with paragaurd. Full or 3/4 strength is ok for a few days, but the life cycle of most Protozoa is a couple to three weeks long. I did find out that the Denver aquarium treats their outbreaks full strength on an every other day basis, with water changes on the day off. Having seen what I just did, that seems like a really good policy. The info came too late for me.
I had to bump it down to 2/3 strength after about 5 days. At about a week and a half (death rate had slowed) I re-surveyed all the tanks except the cardinal one (left the sample on the window sill-ughhhh). I had treated the community tank for 2 days to kill of some of the worms. It went cloudy to the point that 3 sand vacuum treatments and massive water changes (cleaned filter too) did not fully correct. It now had the critter, but no deaths. I got a better look at the bug that was on the shells and was finally able to ID it. It was paramecium putrinim. What I thought were chloroplasts, were bits of internalized algae.
Here comes the part that made me feel like an idiot for trying to kill it. It feeds on algae and bacteria. This was a bacterial infection. A bacillus species to be more specific. I could not see them because the paramecium were eating up the vast majority before they made it to the microscope. Once the paramecium level dropped from the paragaurd I could see the shells were coated in rods. I thought it was a secondary infection until I identified the original (non parasitic) species. The picture I posted at first sucks too. I think the alcohol deformed it pretty bad. That messed me up for trying to identify it.
So anyway, I did a massive water change. I stopped the paragaurd and I turned the UV back on. The death rate is even slower, but I am still losing shrimp. I think it's ones that were infected and weak just finally succumbing. It's been one or two a day for the three days since then. Will do another water change today. I am watching the parameters closely. I could hit them with an antibiotic in the food, but want to give them a break and see if they recover on their own. I lost all of my huge mama shrimp. I will probably have to augment the gene pool on the colony when this blows over. The higher end ones were more succeptible.