The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lobelia cardinalis-any one had it? does it grow well and spread? saw it at azgardens.com and thought it looked cool.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
It grows well, albeit kind of slow in my experience. It grows like a stem plant, as you can cut off the top and multiple new shoots will come up from that point. It doesn't spread via runners, but you can clip and replant if you want it to cover more area. It works great as a transition plant (not sure if that's the proper terminology) --- basically saying that instead of having a short foreground plant (HC, glosso) moving right into stem plants or taller plants like blyxa japonica, you can use the lobelia cardinalis as a transition. One of the uses it has is to cover up roots of plants behind it.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I hsve a stem of the "small form" and it is definately small. it melted in shipment to me, but has since grown back. it's about 2" ATM, but i think they get bigger.

the normal form is a gorgeus bog plant, commonly called cardinal flower.
i think it grows rather tall in the aquarium, but i'm not sure.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
They do grow medium slow and is a nice fore to mid ground plant (transitional is a good description). Not too hard to grow, as long as basics are there - CO2, ferts, enough light. I have some two or three month old small forms (from cuttings) well over 3 inches tall.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts