The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know what kind of Loach is able to stay in a plant tank with shrimp, otos, endlers/endler fry, and a ABN colony?

I got alot of snails and am trying to get rid of them but I don't want to warm the other tank mates.

thanks

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
How big is your tank?

What kind of shrimps do you have?

ABN - Albino Bristlenose I'm assuming? Are they a breeding colony?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I dont think hillstreams or kuhli loaches will eat snails. Could be wrong about the Kuhli's I;ve never had em. Its moslty the botia's that eat snails. And if you plant on keeping them with shrimp thats tough. Zebra's (Botia striata) might be able to coexist and possibly eat snails. Skunk loaches (Yasuhikotakia morleti) will eat snails and stay small as well, but they can be very aggressive, not sure if they would be able to eat shrimp or not. Either these laoches should be kept in groups of 5 or more.

·
Registered
888 Posts
crazy loaches said:
Could be wrong about the Kuhli's I;ve never had em.
Neither do they eat shrimps and snails.:) Their mouths are far too small unfortunately for them to eat snails but snail eggs probably will. Almost all botias will really consume shrimps and snails and so will the Botia morleti. I wouldn't recommend Botia morleti for a community tank. Far too aggressive IMO. Botia almorhae, Botia kubotai and Botia striata are a few ones I would certainly recommend.:) Do beware though that loaches will also eat plants and shrimps.;)

·
Registered
234 Posts
i have 4 clownloaches and 25 amano shrimp. havent lost one. i love those things and i would never get rid of them.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I currently have 6 yo-yo loaches with Japonica shrimp, and a couple cherries.
I can't guarentee that the loaches don't eat the shrimp, but I still have the shrimp, unlike the snails which I pretty much can't find anymore.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I decided not to do any loaches but I made a snail trap instead I dont really want to take the risk of losing my cherry shrimp colony.

Thanks for all your comments and great information !

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I have a similar question so I'll just ressurect this thread.

I'm thinking of getting a few of these guys: Butterfly Hillstream Loach (Beaufortia kweichowensis) — Loaches Online for a community tank. African butterfly fish, cardinal tetras, longfin rainbowfish, otos, Amano shrimp.

Would they be OK together?

Also, what other fish would be a good form of snail control for my 40 gal. tank?

Thanks.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I have a similar question so I'll just ressurect this thread.

I'm thinking of getting a few of these guys: Butterfly Hillstream Loach (Beaufortia kweichowensis) — Loaches Online for a community tank. African butterfly fish, cardinal tetras, longfin rainbowfish, otos, Amano shrimp.

Would they be OK together?

Also, what other fish would be a good form of snail control for my 40 gal. tank?

Thanks.
I'd ditch the ABF if I were you. They have a gaping mouth and will eat your cardinals. Are those 'long-fin rainbows' threadfins? ABF is still out of the question for them.

Problem with the hillstream and cardinals is that both have very different temperature requirement. Hillstreams prefer cooler waters while cardinals prefer warmer environment hence I would say it's best not to mix them with the difference of temperature needed.

Snail control: Either loaches or puffers. Puffers are for species tank only. For loaches, you have a choice of Botia sidthimunki, Botia kubotai, Botia rostrata, Botia almorhae and Botia striata. Loaches have a tendency to eat plants and shrimps. I prefer sidthimunkis but most are too small to consume some snails.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
You know, I know this is something that has been getting people irratated lately, but every once in a while it is a valid comment IMO. So...

Use the search function.

This is one of the most commonly asked questions on this forum. And 60 seconds of research will provide you your answer, and much more. Good luck with your loach problem. The answer is out there.

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
I currently have 6 yo-yo loaches with Japonica shrimp, and a couple cherries.
I can't guarentee that the loaches don't eat the shrimp, but I still have the shrimp, unlike the snails which I pretty much can't find anymore.
Agreed... my Yoyos are not interested in Cherry shrimps... yet. Hope it stays that way. But Cherries can get away pretty quickly, and Yoyos are more nibblers than hunters. Another vote for yoyos... awesome fishies.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
My Kuhlis and Clowns(3.5 inches) left my wood shrimp alone (2.5 inches) for several years...
Wood shrimp, if you are refering to Atyopsis Moluccensis, is much larger than other shrimp. I also have clowns with these shrimp but I have been warned and know I am taking a chance. BTW, if you have had clown loaches for several years they should be alot bigger than 3.5 inches.

·
Registered
234 Posts
mine clown loaches are 7+ inches. and ive had them for maybe a year and a half.

·
Registered
888 Posts
mine clown loaches are 7+ inches. and ive had them for maybe a year and a half.
What was their age when you bought them? This sentence is only valid for the time you keep them, not the time when they were exactly raised from fry stage or rather juvenile. Juveniles are often assumed to be months age.

·
Registered
234 Posts
they were just over 1 inch .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.