The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have four loaches in my 55g tank... I bought them together as "angelicus botia" from petsmart, but now I know they are two different loach species... 2 of them are botia kubotai, but I think the other 2 are probably yo-yo's or possibly golden zebra loaches... they have unusual markings on their sides and I can't figure it out. :icon_roll

Anyway these two "mystery" loaches are the subject of my question. They are larger, fatter, and much more boisterous than the two kubotai loaches. They have a steady diet of whatever the other tank occupants are eating PLUS all the MTS they could want. I'm a little worried that they are too well-fed. They look more like seals or walruses than loaches. :icon_eek:

Here's some pics of them, not the best shots but perhaps you can see what I mean:

Are they too fat?? And what type of loach are they, exactly?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Heh, that is kinda fat. What are you feeding them? I feed mine once a day, sometimes twice. Overfeeding can be an issue overall.

I have the same type. You'll get a nice debate on what type that loach is. My guess would be a hybrid between b. kubotai & b. histrionica.

Histrionicas are usually more active than kubotai.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have juvenile angels, a baby ABN pleco and young bolivian rams in the tank, so... I feed a variety of flakes and pellets 2-3 times a day, since they are all growing. I also try to include peas or cucumber/squash/etc a couple of times a week. But I know I'm guilty of overfeeding!

Of course, the loaches are first in line whenever it's chow time.

I've been thinking of moving the loaches to one of my 29g tanks so they could work on the MTS population there, but they are gonna be a PITA to catch. I'm very worried about stressing all the other fish out and uprooting all the plants. Plus I always hear that loaches are best kept in groups... I don't know what to do!

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Build a fish trap out of a soda bottle. Bait it with their favorite food. It works every time with no stress.

Yeah, a big tank is what makes them happy and more loach buddies. Mine are in a 75G.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's my dilemma! I feel like I should add a couple more botia to their group and leave them in there, BUT they keep eating everyone else's dinner and then some! So should I just let them be fat and happy and not worry about it?

Plus I really, really, really want to get a group of sids from msjinkzd for the 29g...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Seems like with a 55G, you should be able to push the loaches to one side and spot feed the other fish - after a while they'll even know where to go.

I had some trouble like you do - in my case a small 20G with two schooling fish that would grab anything and everything before any other fish.

What I did was get a little baster and use that to get the frozen blood worms to the fish that only eat that. I'd first "prime" the tank with flake food to distract the rasboras and tetras - and fill their bellies up a little. My bumblebee gobys almost literally need food dropped in front of them in order for them see and grab it. Its even worse so with my African Dwarf Frogs. The little dwarf puffer I had, until he grew some balls lol, would get punked around quite a bit and I'd have to drop food in a special location for him. After a week or so, these fish knew that the baster = food.

I will say that I don't have experience with the type of fish you have, but simply dropping the food won't work with an aggressive eater in there. My buddy has a 55G cichlid tank - if yours has the same dimensions as his, spot feeding should be doable.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I feed the tank enough so everyone gets enough to stay healthy. If by doing that I end up with some fat fish, oh well. lol

BTW, I have 3 loaches and 4 angelfish with an over-eating disorder. 15 or so cories are borderline. lol

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With the exception of the loaches, all of the fish in tank are young/juveniles... so I feed this tank more often.

Look at this little guy... he/she needs his/her nourishment to grow big and strong!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seems like with a 55G, you should be able to push the loaches to one side and spot feed the other fish - after a while they'll even know where to go.

I had some trouble like you do - in my case a small 20G with two schooling fish that would grab anything and everything before any other fish.

What I did was get a little baster and use that to get the frozen blood worms to the fish that only eat that. I'd first "prime" the tank with flake food to distract the rasboras and tetras - and fill their bellies up a little. My bumblebee gobys almost literally need food dropped in front of them in order for them see and grab it. Its even worse so with my African Dwarf Frogs. The little dwarf puffer I had, until he grew some balls lol, would get punked around quite a bit and I'd have to drop food in a special location for him. After a week or so, these fish knew that the baster = food.

I will say that I don't have experience with the type of fish you have, but simply dropping the food won't work with an aggressive eater in there. My buddy has a 55G cichlid tank - if yours has the same dimensions as his, spot feeding should be doable.
When I first got the bolivian rams, they didn't get much to eat because they are naturally lower-level feeders... however they quickly learned to come to the top of the tank when the lid opens. I do try to put flakes on one side and then sinking pellets on the other occasionally to accommodate the less aggressive fish... and sometimes I even manage to feed everyone before the loaches wake up from their naps and realize what's going on. :icon_lol:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I feed the tank enough so everyone gets enough to stay healthy. If by doing that I end up with some fat fish, oh well. lol

BTW, I have 3 loaches and 4 angelfish with an over-eating disorder. 15 or so cories are borderline. lol

Thank you!!! :proud: Plus doesn't the Walstad method suggest that excess fish food provides all the nutrients aquarium plants need? My problem is that my loaches think they need it more!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.