The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got 5 Zebra loaches for my 40 last week.

Although the most I have seen at one time in my tank is 3 I think they are all alive and well and spend most of their time hanging around my driftwood.

My question is has anyone ever observed their loaches standing on their tails?

I saw one doing it today, he doesnt seem sick, not breathing heavy just chilling out.

·
Registered
293 Posts
My question is has anyone ever observed their loaches standing on their tails?
In a corner of a tank, is the only time I've ever seen my b. striata do tail stands. If these are your first botias they will scare the willie's out of you with the way they sleep. I still freak out a little when I see one on their side or upside down.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In a corner of a tank, is the only time I've ever seen my b. striata do tail stands. If these are your first botias they will scare the wille's out of you with the way they sleep. I still freak out a little when I see one on their side or upside down.
he was doing it in a cove of the driftwood....1st loaches....cool little guys! Glad to hear its not out of the ordinary, thanks!

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
haha mine have been found laying on top of power heads and even the drop checker once. Reaching in to remove a 'dead' fish they scared the crap outta me LOL

loaches are cool

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I have a couple zebras in a tank and one of them refuses to leave the sponge filter intake. He/She just floats there totally perpendicular to the ground and occasionally bites at the sponge. Every time I reach my hand in there, it'll swim away, but return there again shortly. I have had these two for about three weeks and that is all it does....hang out tail down by the sponge filter.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Loaches are cool.

After a while you get over the impulse to freak out and check if they are dead.

If you have a big enough group of them and they have some hiding places they can sometimes become more active. They have the potential to jump out of the tank and they really love to either swim up the intake pipe of a HoB filter (though the zebras are likely too big for this already) and especially to somehow swim up the overflow outflow lip and into the filter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.