The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
^^That is a rhetorical question.... I know you can have too many lol.

But anyway, I have 4 different specie of loach in my 45g tank (only 1 of each).

I thought I had two yo-yo loaches, but one of them is growing more slender and with a very different color pattern. I cannot get a pic since they are so fast and my camera sucks the big one.

Another loach is a lone B. dario I found locally, which is definitely the king of the lot.......... and the fourth one is what I believe to be Schistura mahnerti that the LFS owner had never seen before, it was in a shipment of other supposed Burmese-origin loaches.

They all four play frantically throughout the day. Nobody gets nipped fins, but they do get rough. They've all been in here for several months, also. No losses, these are the only 4 I've bought.

I know some loaches like B. hymenophysa are a no-no with mixed loach communities, but what other loaches have you all mixed up with good success?

I'm thinking about getting a B. morleti (skunk) but I've had them get really aggressive.

The tank is the 45g in my sig. I tend to overcrowd my tanks but I normally only crowd in hyperactive fish that don't mind other hyper fish lol.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Yes you can have too many. They need a bit more space than most fish. I'd recommend a 75G+ tank for them.

Yes, skunks should be with other aggressive fishes. Check out loaches.com for all info. Their forum is helpful as well.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Yes you can have too many. They need a bit more space than most fish. I'd recommend a 75G+ tank for them.

Yes, skunks should be with other aggressive fishes. Check out loaches.com for all info. Their forum is helpful as well.
doesn't depend on the species of loach you are referring to?

For instance a group of zebra loaches IMO doesn't need a 75 gal plus tank, but a group of clown loaches definitely will.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
yeah, actually 2 yoyos would be fine in a 46G but they do best in a social group of 5+. That works best in a 75G+ tank.

I had 5 little botias, B. histrionica in a 75G and I thought that was tight for them. One died from a suicide jump, and the other from a excel overdose.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I had a weather loach (Misgurnus anguillicaudatus ) that got to about 8". He lived in a unheated 55 with my Orandas. I really enjoyed having him. he was a spot on weatherman too. If was more accurate the the local T.V weatherman more than once.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.