The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Summer is coming and that means garage sales!

I got a pickle jar that's approximately a gallon for a dollar. I have a heater and a sponge filter and do pwc's so no worries in the water quality or temperature. Now I want to ask what to put in it...? It will be moderately/heavily planted as well.

I don't really want shrimp because I have enough shrimp and I feel bad having a betta in it since my bettas are in 5 gallon tanks.

Anything else I can put that isn't shrimp or a betta?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was eyeing that least killifish as well but it's a struggle finding those types of fish being sold in Canada. I know endlers are tiny as hell but are they suitable for a 1 gallon...? I do have some ramshorn's lying around and a package of fairy shrimp eggs for food so that's also that option too! Is there anywhere even online to buy a water scorpion?

Thanks for the suggestions as well! I'm leaning towards just putting two ramshorns. A sponge filter should be able to deal with their bioload right?

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Are they really charging that much for them? We used to have a glass recycler station a couple blocks away that sold these for 25 cents.
How long ago is "used to" Gramps? :hihi::hihi::hihi:

I'm old enough to remember prices like that, but I don't think there were many of us here on TPT.

As for the pickle jar, I 'd say go with snails if you don't want shrimp. You might also want to do some research into Dwarf African Frogs. I've never kept any, but maybe one could live in a 1 gallon jar.

Edit - I just thought of something else. Why not try a Wabi Kusa set up in the jar? It wouldn't include fish, shrimp or snails but it could be a pretty cool new way for you to keep some aquatic plants.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.