The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to set up a tub pond in my backyard for breeding livebearers, but I'm not sure if it would work. Here's my plan:
20g plastic tub (the round kind with handles)
Hardy, fast-growing plants for waste control
Pool filter sand (do I need this if the plants aren't rooted?)

Fish would probably be swordtails (koi or showa) or maybe wild-type livebearers. I'll probably add some ramshorn or mystery snails, too.

Is there any reason this set-up wouldn't work? And since I live in south Alabama, when would it be safe to put the fish in, temperature-wise?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What kind of insulation could I use? Since our house is rented, I don't think I could put the tub in the ground. Maybe I could put some kind of cover over it to reduce sun exposure. Not sure how that would work, though.

And I forgot to ask, is the tub likely to bow enough to cause a problem? Also, do I need to be worried about dragonfly nymphs or any other fish-eaters getting in the tub? As for circulation, I have an air pump I could use, but I'm not sure how it would stand up to outdoor use.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Digging a hole is not an option at the moment; this will have to be an above-ground pond. Believe me, if I could dig a hole, I would go all-out with a real pond, not just this giant bucket.

How exactly do you cut styrofoam to fit a round tub?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The tub looks like this:
http://iandopartyrentals.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/plastic_tub_2.194132323.jpg

It's about 18" tall and it holds about 20 gallons if filled to the brim.

You can build a wooden box frame around the tub. Fill the in between space with mulch or soil. With soil, you can plant plants. It'll look better too.
That is a good idea, but I don't want to have to build anything with wood if I can avoid it. We don't have any tools, so I'd have to borrow from my dad, and, well, I'll spare you the details, but the end result would be that he would take on the project as his own and it would turn into the sturdiest, tightest, most level, most perfectly square, and most expensive dirt-holding box EVER.

Would the styrofoam be enough? What are castle wall bricks?

As an alternative, we have an old porch cover thingy way out in the back corner of our yard, away from any electrical outlets. If the tub could work without water movement or regular feeding, I could probably put it out there and it would have constant shade. Worth a try or bad idea?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts