The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! My mom cultivates her own red wiggler worms for her gardening... Can they be used as fish food? She says they are long though... To big for scarlet badis? I don't have them yet but just pre-planning in case i get some picky eaters in the future.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Yes! You can use them for food; but they need to be chopped up to smaller pieces so they fit into the fish's mouth. Be sure to vacuum out any leftovers unless you have Malaysian Trumpet Snails (MTS) they eat any and all left overs.

Best wishes,
Wes

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was worried you'd say that..."chop"....lol
I do currently have MTS and hopefully most will survive when i upgrade to the larger tank. I also plan for panda cories! Will they eat red wigglers too?
Any advice on chopping :icon_eek: red wigglers?
Maybe i can make my mom do it :tongue:

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
It's almost impossible to chop up red wigglers. They 'wiggle' a lot and secrete a smelling fluid which makes it hard to get a hold of. Try putting them between wet paper towels for 24 hours before handling them. They'll pass most of the soil in their gut and the towels will help remove excess mucus.

This might sound gross but maybe process the worms. A hand cut chunk of worm is still too big for a badis. You can freeze the left overs.

Now will your mom let you use the blender?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mistergreen, lol!!! Ummm, she may be opposed to me using her blender for such an activity! Plus I've got my own that I don't intend on using for that either! well....totally grossed out by the process...I think I'm going to pass... I feed frozen food regularly/daily so maybe i'll get one badis at a time and see how they react to the frozen meals.

wes, if the little guy doesn't take to the frozen then I'll probably get that kitchen aid gadget! I guess just use some of the aq water to get the chunks out of the gadget and into the tank? :confused1: yuck! haha

Do fish stores sell live micro worms or other types of live fish food?

·
Registered
815 Posts
So gross...

You can try cultivating daphnia or something, I hear they are easy to cultivate. If I were in Texas, I'd try it right now outside in the summer heat!

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
mistergreen, lol!!! Ummm, she may be opposed to me using her blender for such an activity! Plus I've got my own that I don't intend on using for that either! well....totally grossed out by the process...I think I'm going to pass... I feed frozen food regularly/daily so maybe i'll get one badis at a time and see how they react to the frozen meals.

wes, if the little guy doesn't take to the frozen then I'll probably get that kitchen aid gadget! I guess just use some of the aq water to get the chunks out of the gadget and into the tank? :confused1: yuck! haha

Do fish stores sell live micro worms or other types of live fish food?
Raising live food is gross business. I gave up on feeding red wigglers myself. It's too gross of a process.

I'm raising daphnia right now. It's pretty easy if you have a spare tank or a kiddie pool. You can get them on aquabid or check the swap & shop here. Instructions on how to raise them is in the sticky in this Fish forum. You can feed them a dry mixture of spirulina, gluten free flour, and a dash of yeast.

·
Banned
445 Posts
just anote on the microworms. They are really easy to culture and multiply quickly. problem is they are nigh on impossible to get out of the soil pot as they are just so tiny. They wrap themselves around a speck of dirt and all but disappear out of view. My fish dont even notice them going in the tank, so I gave up with them. Oh and they stink to high heaven after a month or so in the tub.....Good little box of yuckiness to gross my mother out with though. She thought it was the sugar tub once...priceless Kodak moment :)

·
Banned
445 Posts
It's almost impossible to chop up red wigglers. They 'wiggle' a lot and secrete a smelling fluid which makes it hard to get a hold of. Try putting them between wet paper towels for 24 hours before handling them. They'll pass most of the soil in their gut and the towels will help remove excess mucus.

This might sound gross but maybe process the worms. A hand cut chunk of worm is still too big for a badis. You can freeze the left overs.

Now will your mom let you use the blender?
...any success with blackworm cultures? Ive heard they are foul smelling? Think my BBgs would like them though. Microworms just too, well......micro ;)

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
...any success with blackworm cultures? Ive heard they are foul smelling? Think my BBgs would like them though. Microworms just too, well......micro ;)
I have a spare planted 10G tank with no fish in it right now. I put in a small batch of blackworms in it and they seem to be fine digging in the substrate.

I'm not sure if there's reproducing though. I wouldn't bother trying to raise them. They don't reproduce fast enough. It's better just to buy them.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh and they stink to high heaven after a month or so in the tub.....Good little box of yuckiness to gross my mother out with though. She thought it was the sugar tub once...priceless Kodak moment :)
yuck! I don't want anything stinky... so funny about ur mom :tongue:
I never thought my mom could start her own worm culture, huge surprise!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts