The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 546 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This will soon become an index post!

Original info from 2009:
I just moved apartments and have set up my 75g anew. Here's the old tank in its prime:

It's essentially the same setup as before hardware-wise, but all new plants and fish. I'm going for a 'classic' aquarium with a jungly feel to it using big plants (crypts and apons) and angelfish. Low-maintenance yet high-light. Plants will inevitably change - mostly pulling sps. that don't get the look I want - as I've never worked with most of these plant species. I'm pretty excited about it, so I thought I'd post my first tank thread in forever.

Tank: AGA 75g with Black Pine Stand
Light: 48" Catalina 4x54w (2x6700k, 1x10000k, 1x12000k)
Filtration: Rena XP3, Rena XP1
Heater: Hydor 300 In-Line
CO2: GLA Reg, 15# Steel Cylinder, Fabco NV-22 needle valve, Elite Mini Diffuser
Substrate: ADA Amazonia I
Hardscape: Cedar Driftwood

Flora:
Aponogeton crispus
A. ulvaceous
A. undulatus
Barclaya Longifolia 'Red'
Crinum calamistratum
Cryptocoryne blassii
C. ciliata
C. crispatula ‘balansae’
C. moehlmannii
C. parva
C. pontederiifolia
C. spiralis
C. walkeri
C. wendtii ‘green’, ‘brown’, ‘bronze’, ‘florida sunset’
C. undulata
C. usteriana
Echinodorus angustifolias 'vesuvius'
E. tennellus ‘micro’
Hygrophila corymbosa ‘angustifolia’
Nymphaea lotus 'Zenkeri'
Nymphaea stellata
Polygonum sp. ‘Sao Paulo’
Vallisneria Nana

Fauna:
8x Pterophyllum scalare (Angelfish) - Black, Zebra, and Marble
2x Cleithracara maronii (Keyhole Cichlid)
20x Gymnocorymbus ternetzi (Black Skirt Tetra)
8x Otocinclus sp. (Otto catfish)
1x Ancistrus cirrhosus (Albino Bristlenose Pleco)

Pics coming 'soon'! :)

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks folks. I'll post pics of the initial planting after I get a few packages in the mail later this week... planting a bunch of pots of C. parva should be nice and tedious. :help:

Those are awesome plant selections. They will make such a nice display in there.
The worry is too many big plants... we'll see how it works out!

Nice...that looks strangely similar to my plant list...Crypt wise anyway.:hihi:
Yep a few of 'em anyways! ;)

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
I'd leave out the C. usteriana. A 75 isn't deep enough to show of that plant, and the leaves covering the surface of the water shade out everything underneath them.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Yeah, 6 pots of the FAN stuff that's just getting released. I'm impatient! :flick:
Is C. Parva rare or something? I've seen it brought up multiple times about it 'being release' and all this stuff? I've bought it up here multiple times for $4.88/pot, buy 2 get one free. I just wasn't aware it was so hard to come by...since it isn't really isn't for me?

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd leave out the C. usteriana. A 75 isn't deep enough to show of that plant, and the leaves covering the surface of the water shade out everything underneath them.
Yeah, I figure this is the case. I'm just curious about that plant (never kept it) and am getting a single specimen in trade. It probably won't stay permanently in this scape (same for the Barclaya and maybe A. ulvaceous... just testing).

Is C. Parva rare or something? I've seen it brought up multiple times about it 'being release' and all this stuff? I've bought it up here multiple times for $4.88/pot, buy 2 get one free. I just wasn't aware it was so hard to come by...since it isn't really isn't for me?
AFAIK, it's never been mass produced by the aquatic nurseries here in the states. Things might be different in Canadeh. :) See here for a recent discussion. Due to it's slow growth, it goes for ~$2 a plant on the forums, which is not an option if you want a hundred or so. :D

1 - 20 of 546 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.