The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an experiment, I cut up some blackworms and put it in the shrimpie feeding dish. Who would have known CRS and Cherries would eat worms like hotdogs?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know, who knew they liked condiments? But really, they have gone into a frenzy, especially the CRS. I've never seen them go after an algae wafer like that.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I actually saw some of my ghost shrimp eat WHOLE live blackworms - must have been a 25% weight gain!

·
Registered
200 Posts
when i feed the axolotls blood worms, the ghosts go after them and it looks like they are eating sausages. They eat them all, whole. I tossed some into one of the cherries tanks and even my ataya gabonensis picked up the red sausages and sucked out the meat from the casing.they cherries seemed to swarm a peice and eat out the inside meat.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I've been thinking of "stocking" my new CRS with bloodworms... Maybe I should after reading this?

Granted I know they're a bit different!

-Andrew

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know, I wonder if the extra protein is bad for them, I mean seriously, they were scarfing them down and fighting each other like it was fresh baked krispy kreme. It was a litte disturbing.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I feed my shrimp frozen bloodworms, mysis, and brine shrimp occaisonally just for variety. They also eat crushed ramshorn snails (when I find big ones close to the top... trying to slow down population growth). They're opportunistic critters, and will eat whatever is available.

·
Registered
517 Posts
all fish capable of eating live worms love it! i feed live fresh blackworms to all my fauna and turtles and they can't get enough. cory's in particular are fun to watch while they eat. the ghost shrimps grab a big one and run like crazy in my tank. in my bichir tank, they swallow what seems like a dozen worms at a time and it blows out half way through their gills and they look funny.

but in reality, the worms dont make a good diet i think. they're nothing but fats and proteins or something and should only be used for occassional snacks and conditioning prior spawning for certain fish like betta

·
Banned
418 Posts
I feed my shrimp frozen bloodworms, mysis, and brine shrimp occaisonally just for variety. They also eat crushed ramshorn snails (when I find big ones close to the top... trying to slow down population growth). They're opportunistic critters, and will eat whatever is available.
I noticed my CRS like the crushed ramshorns also, but now i'll have to treat them to a pinch of live bloodworms! Luckily a local pet store keeps both brine and worms in stock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts