The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of the common Aquarium Live Bearers, which species is the most prolific in amount and fastest gestation period.

For the Daily Double, which fish would you pick to fill a 40B the fastest?

Remember state your Answer in the form of a question:hihi:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Mollys...Before I separated the males and females, the females would regularly drop litters of 40+ fry. The problem was I had 4 females. I've never seen so many baby fish in my life! I don't think I would ever breed them on purpose unless I had a reliable fish to feed the culls to.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Endler's or sailfin mollies, IME neither one eat their fry, mollies grow larger so less fish to fill the tank. I put a couple dozen endler's in a 40 tall last year. After a few months the tank was looking crowded, then I picked up a baby Carapo knife fish. The Carapo thinned them out much faster than they had filled the tank.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone.

I'm thinking about raising them as feeders. They would have a 40B filled with Hornwort that would also function as grow-out tank for plants.

I think the smartest way would to buy up as many "full" female fish I can find and a few males. Color won't matter just health.

I have an opportunity to buy a 125gl for $100. So I might set up up for Angels or Africans. Both of which I used to breed.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I set up a large clear plastic tub on my back patio to keep some extra plants. It's now full of guppy grass and milfoil. I threw in 4 or 5 mosquitofish about 3 weeks ago. There are now too many to count.

Any common livebearer is going to be prolific. Maybe growth rates are a consideration?

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TedP - Good point on growth rate.

If I go forward with this, I think I'd go with Platys. I'd start with 4-5 fat females & 2-3 males in a bare breeder type 40 with a lot of Hornwort. I'd be doing a dry start on the 125. By time the 125 was ready for water I should have a lot of baby Platys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.