The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of the common Aquarium Live Bearers, which species is the most prolific in amount and fastest gestation period.

For the Daily Double, which fish would you pick to fill a 40B the fastest?

Remember state your Answer in the form of a question:hihi:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Mollys...Before I separated the males and females, the females would regularly drop litters of 40+ fry. The problem was I had 4 females. I've never seen so many baby fish in my life! I don't think I would ever breed them on purpose unless I had a reliable fish to feed the culls to.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Endler's or sailfin mollies, IME neither one eat their fry, mollies grow larger so less fish to fill the tank. I put a couple dozen endler's in a 40 tall last year. After a few months the tank was looking crowded, then I picked up a baby Carapo knife fish. The Carapo thinned them out much faster than they had filled the tank.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
The bigger the live bearer, the more they pop out. So I'll say,

What is Four-Eyed Fish, Anableps anableps?

or what is a molly?

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone.

I'm thinking about raising them as feeders. They would have a 40B filled with Hornwort that would also function as grow-out tank for plants.

I think the smartest way would to buy up as many "full" female fish I can find and a few males. Color won't matter just health.

I have an opportunity to buy a 125gl for $100. So I might set up up for Angels or Africans. Both of which I used to breed.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
If they're feeder, you'd want small fishes with small fry so endlers would be good. You can save the prettiest and cull out the not so good looking ones.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It would get down to how old the fry were when they were "served" and the size of the fish that are eating them.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I set up a large clear plastic tub on my back patio to keep some extra plants. It's now full of guppy grass and milfoil. I threw in 4 or 5 mosquitofish about 3 weeks ago. There are now too many to count.

Any common livebearer is going to be prolific. Maybe growth rates are a consideration?

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TedP - Good point on growth rate.

If I go forward with this, I think I'd go with Platys. I'd start with 4-5 fat females & 2-3 males in a bare breeder type 40 with a lot of Hornwort. I'd be doing a dry start on the 125. By time the 125 was ready for water I should have a lot of baby Platys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts