The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 55gal just has "amano" and red cherry shrimp in it right now. I think I have some babies on the way... There are these little tiny white dots on the back wall of my tank that move around from time to time.

I also have a bunch of "amano" zoes running around in there. I don't know if they will make it to maturity, but they've made it long enough to get to about a 1/4 inch. The other day I could have sworn that I saw a juvenile shrimp, too, which would not have come from the original stock. I have one amano that's very brown-ish in color that I suspect is the mother... and isn't an amano. Interestingly, she's the biggest of the bunch, so I don't think she's a cherry, but whatever.

Anyways, I'm excited. I think I'm gonna have a shrimp population explosion pretty soon.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Amano shrimps require salinity for the larvae to fully develop. What you are probably seeing are juvenile cherry shrimps before they color up or potentially adult male cherry shrimps, which are not always red. If you have little white dots, chances are pretty good that some snails or snail eggs hitch-hiked into your tank on either some plants or some gravel from your LFS.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
After I started baby searching in my tanks with a magnifying glass, I say the true aquatic life that is inside a tank with plants or mosses or anything. lol. You see a million things swimming around moving around in there. Some swim, some drift, some jerk and propel. Its neat.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The dots move around, though, so I don't think they are snail eggs. they move about the way that shrimp normally do... flitting from spot to spot on the back wall. I'll have to see if I can get a magnifying glass and identify more closely. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the back of the tank to get up and close.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
The dots move around, though, so I don't think they are snail eggs. they move about the way that shrimp normally do... flitting from spot to spot on the back wall. I'll have to see if I can get a magnifying glass and identify more closely. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the back of the tank to get up and close.
A dozen other bugs that live in the tank move like that as well. Normally newborn shrimp hide, they don't stick on walls.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts

My bet is freshwater ostracods.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Have to agree with Wasserpest, if you've got larval something in there that has reached a length of 1/4" and that has possibly transformed into a juvenile shrimp, you're definitely not looking at amano shrimp and probably are looking at ghost shrimp.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have to agree with Wasserpest, if you've got larval something in there that has reached a length of 1/4" and that has possibly transformed into a juvenile shrimp, you're definitely not looking at amano shrimp and probably are looking at ghost shrimp.

Yeah, that's why I put the quotes around amano. I know I genuinely have some amanos.

I have some larvae stage shrimp in there. We'll see if they make it to the adult stage. They don't have any fish preying on them at the moment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.