The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting a small simple project to grow a few underwater plants. I plan to just keep different nicely-colored crypts and small swords together in a 10 Gallon as few specimen plants.

I have a half-dozen emtpy 10s laying round, so the tank is no trouble. I plan to use the new Pierce CO2 system to provide carbon.

This kit "For Charming Aquarium" includes the micro-regulator, bubble counter, check valve, disposable 95gm CO2 cylinder and cylinder tand.

It's a bare-bones setup, but for the price it can't be beat. You can find the Pierce over at the GLA online store...

http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/complete-co2-systems/pierce-co2-system.html

More pictures soon!

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I set up the system.

I am not trying to aquascape at all. I just want to get a little collection of plants going.

The Pierce was super easy to set up. I think it took me all of six minuted or so to get it running.

The diffusor is just a simple small airstone. When I turned on the gas I saw the bubbles just shoot straight to the top. To get somewhat better diffusion I moved the diffusor over right next to the intake for one of those submersible power filters so that the bubbles would get sucked up and blow around a bit more.

·
Registered
733 Posts
watching to see the progress. i've looked at that co2 set up before and was wondering how long that little disposable cartridge would work for.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I know you can't as is, but I'd be curious if one can rig up an adapter to connect beer keg or paintball cartridges to this unit. That'll turn it into one cheap CO2 system.

I remember reading in one of the threads on here about someone DIYing a solenoid for this unit.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think that I would want to get a better idea of how well-built this unit's regulator is before sinking too much time and money into modifications. It seems to work fine so far, but I just wonder if a complete upgrade might be a wiser tack to follow if you want to use paintball.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Im using one of those co2 setups on my 2foot, at 2bps it lasts me about 6 weeks
i went for it because it was easyer for me to get the refills then to refill a bottle

mine has a 2 gauge reg and solenoid and ph controller so i can turn it off at night

also there is a adaptor for them so they fit normail co2 bottle fittings, i have it so i can change to larger bottles if i need/want to

1 - 20 of 22 Posts