The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're just going to jump straight into this one, I didn't take many pictures along the way, but I'm pretty happy with where I've ended up. Let me know what you guys think, and if there is anything I should change/work on.

Slow start..cheap bubble filter..no idea what I was doing..attempting to grow from bulbs...empty and ugly. Substrate is a play sand and fluorite mix, mostly fluorite.

Oh look, some moss and guppies!!....still dull and ugly.

New filter, 27 watts of light, DIY Jello CO2, Rotella, HC, hydrocotyle, Wisteria, a couple rocks from rrrramos. Making headway, but still needs work. (I know I butchered some spelling, feel free to correct me.)

Also started dosing Florinaxis and Flourish Comprehensive Daily. Monopotassium Phosphate, Potassium Sulphate, and Potassium Nitrate 3 days a week. 50% WC once a week.

Stuck some black fun foam to the back of the tank, and already seeing some growth.

Current residents: 1 Otto, and 4 RCS..crossing my fingers they'll start breeding, I'm afraid I have 4 females.

It took absolutely forever to get any response from the bulb. But now that its sprouted, it's taking off. This is in the back left of the tank, and I think it's looking good. It's a Nymphaea Lotus Green. Anxious to see how it turns out, and if it will flower once it reaches the surface.

A little trimming and replanting. This is how it sits today 10/19/09

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
that larger rock is much better. I might move the hydrocotyle out from right infront of it though.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Looks good man, I love timeline shots. If you have not already, you will probably want to remove the metal tie around those stem plants - I have always been told that contributes to rotting the lower portion.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you're right, the hydrocotyle would probably look better shifted to the right a bit. I'm timid to move it though, the roots seem to be getting established, and I don't want to hurt the plant.

Yea, I ended up having more pictures than I thought I did..haha. It's cool to see how it's progressed over the last few weeks. The metal band is completely covered by roots now, if it's necessary to remove it, it's going to be a tricky task. My hands barely fit behind that rock, and just like the hydrocotyle, I'm still timid to harm it's newly developed root structure.

I'm also debating what to do with the DIY CO2, the airstone seems to work well, but half the bubbles still just rise to the top instead of going into the filter. I'm thinking I may just need to drill a hole in the side of the intake and put it straight in. Any suggestions on doing this? It's a red sea nano filter, and I'd like an effective and clean looking method.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That method works for now..atleast until I get cherry shrimp that feel like reproducing. Moved the hydrocotyle, trimmed a bit. Here it is today.

I think it needs work, but I'm not sure what to do with it at the moment..any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I've got a tripod in my trunk that I can bring in tomorrow dude. I believe my brother put a bunch of that Rotala in the package that should be here tomorrow, you're welcome to all of it I doubt I'll use it. He actually sent a bunch of stuff I doubt will be used in my tank. We'll discuss when you get home after work tomorrow haha.
Anyways, I like how this is turning out. The lily and wisteria are growing like crazy man!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

lots of growth, mowed the lawn yesterday, some cherry babies, but they probably got sucked into the filter overnight..mehh

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It has filled in quite nicely. I think the wisteria is overpowering, and either needs cut way down, or removed/replaced. I'm also really happy with the HC carpet, although I may need to mow again.

On a much sadder note..Unfortunately, I murdered one of my RCS in a tragic Rotala trimming accident. Current residents are 2 Otos, 3 adult RCS, and unknown RCS babies, I rarely get a glimpse of one or two of them.

Anyways, here's a couple shots for ya.
I think I finally may know how to operate my camera a little better.

As always, any feedback is appreciated. I'm still a n00b.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea, this is just a typical 2.5g from petsmart with the top popped off.. I was looking at other 2.5s today, and it seems like they have a lot cleaner silicone job on them than this one came with. I may have to switch them out soon. I'm not using a heater yet, but I'm, looking into getting one of the smaller flat ones in here to help get the ideal temp for RCS breeding, since I went ahead and put 6 more in there today.

The plant behind the rock, I believe is Rotala Indica..it seems to get more of a reddish tint the more light it gets, I like it a lot.

The substrate/gravel is just fluorite, and it seems to work pretty well. I wasn't sure how the HC would carpet on it, but it's doin' fine.

Thanks a lot for the compliments, I really appreciate it :) this is one of my first planted tanks too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts