The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Don't sleep on this one. I'm not in any way affiliated and am not offering reviews. Just want to give everyone a heads-up when they can save money on items that are popular in the hobby and almost never discounted. Feel free to chime in if you have suggestions or questions.

Bulk Reef Supply bought Marine Depot and now Marine Depot is having a liquidation sale. 40% off most things - including tons of nano tanks ($100ish for the 10gal Dennerle tank kit, $150ish for 20gal Waterbox all-in-one), LED fixtures like the Fluval Plant Nano and ONF Flat Nano.

Also some good deals on substrate - especially a few Flourite varieties. $13.88 for 15lbs of Flourite Black or Black Sand. $11.56 for 15lbs of regular Flourite or Flourite Dark.

Some (non-affiliate) direct links to random things I like:

Fluval Plant Nano ($53.99) - ridiculously good deal

ONF Flat Nano in silver, also available in other colors ($65.40)

Flourite Black Sand ($13.88)

5.4gal Lifegard rimless ($41.99 or $46.79 for a 9.6gal - I bought a 5.4 because it's cuter)

Dennerle 10L shrimp cube ($27.60) - now $23

6gal bookshelf aquarium ($41.99)

11gal long (INSANE! $57.59)

Encourage you to dig in if you're in the market for new stuff and want to save some money. Every cool tank I've owned has come from Marine Depot.

Direct link to the LED fixture section
Direct link to planted tank substrate section
Direct link to rimless nano tank section
Direct link to rock & wood section

Most of the tanks have free shipping but it's really cheap for other dry goods like substrate, rock, driftwood.

·
Super Moderator
17,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow. Even the larger long tanks are on sale. Good find.
Was afraid to look much deeper because I fear spending too much. But these are good prices on a lot of items many people in the salt side of the hobby won't touch. So they end up being great for us.

Sorry, @TigerWithBarbs. I bought a bunch of them but there were still a ton in stock when I checked out. Guess all of us nerds had the same idea.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Was afraid to look much deeper because I fear spending too much. But these are good prices on a lot of items many people in the salt side of the hobby won't touch. So they end up being great for us.

Sorry, @TigerWithBarbs. I bought a bunch of them but there were still a ton in stock when I checked out. Guess all of us nerds had the same idea.
I can usually find them for $65 on the secondary market so its not that much of a bummer. I think I may give the ONF nano a shot and just use a smart plug as a timer. Those things are super popular so if I don't like it I shouldn't have a hard time selling it to someone who would like one at a discount.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My wife is going to have some questions when the 9.6g (ADA 45P knockoff) arrives with an ONF nano and some fresh Dennerle soil. I'll have to keep this one low tech so she doesn't get increasingly annoyed when I order a new regulator and paintball tank....

I'm thinking lots of epiphytes, some dwarf sag, and three pea puffers. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts

I know what you mean. I started diving deeper through the liquidation sale and finally gave up and reminded myself that I have just enough time for my current tanks. The rimless tanks though...I wish I had more time.

·
Super Moderator
17,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I may give the ONF nano a shot and just use a smart plug as a timer. Those things are super popular so if I don't like it I shouldn't have a hard time selling it to someone who would like one at a discount.
You'll definitely be able to make your money back if you decide it's not for you. But they are quite attractive and functional in-person. So may help the other half see it as a net positive. Dimmable, can be raised/lowered. Aftermarket stands that can make them even more functional.

My wife is going to have some questions when the 9.6g (ADA 45P knockoff)
I think the quality is close enough to ADA that I'd consider buying them at their normal price. And at liquidation prices, I'm even more into them.

Now I just need to find a suitable glass cover for the 5.4gal...

I wish I had more time.
Same. So I'm just using a rimless as a replacement for an old 5.5gal I set up in 2000. Couldn't justify any of the long tanks even though I want them all. What would I even do with a 6gal long?!

So a few new LEDs (BYE FLUORESCENT!), a new little tank, an ONF to go on it and a gamble on some driftwood it is for me. Figure $6ish is worth the risk for "spiderwood" - right? Even if it's just a crappy twig I cover with moss.

Hope everyone else is able to snag some good loot.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! Wish I saw it earlier before so many things were sold out.

Picked up a 5lb aluminum CO2 cylinder for $51 and free shipping. Was planning on getting a 10 pounder but for that price, I just couldn't say no. Hopefully I won't regret that later

·
Registered
351 Posts
The Fluval heaters are on clearance as well, killer deal on those.

·
Super Moderator
17,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now there's a bunch of stuff that's 50% off! Like I need this temptation! :mad:

But for real - check it out before it's gone.

If anyone is in need of a nice Betta tank? There are a few nice ones. 5gal Lifegard all-in-one ($42.50), 10gal Dennerle ($80ish), 10gal JBJ AIOs (2 types - one isn't a cube.)

Also a couple smaller Lifegard AIOs for under $50 and 10L/2.5gal Dennerle cubes for $23. They're not good for anything other than shrimp or maybe micro crabs. Probably be great for QT. But they're (the Dennerle tanks) well-built and include glass lids. Stick a little sponge filter in and they're perfect for shrimp. Ideal for Halocaridina rubra (Hawaiian Red Shrimp) - which won't require a filter.

Flourite is the cheapest I've seen in years. Regular is less than $10 for a large bag. $11ish for dark. $13ish for black and black sand. 15lbs of Brightwell substrate (Florinvolcanit Rio Cafe - extra fine, brown) for $27. Brightwell stuff buffers water parameters pretty well for certain types of shrimp and $27 is cheap for "fine" granule buffering substrate. It'll hold kH 0, gH 5 water stable for a long time.

Tons of filter media. RO filter systems and parts. Pumps, overflows, plumbing parts, gobs of heaters. A lot of this stuff is cheaper than wholesale and is ideal for planted tanking. High-end brands.

Just wanted to bump this up there for folks in the hobby who want to save a few bucks. The past 18 months have been crazy for all of us.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Now there's a bunch of stuff that's 50% off! Like I need this temptation! :mad:

But for real - check it out before it's gone.

If anyone is in need of a nice Betta tank? There are a few nice ones. 5gal Lifegard all-in-one ($42.50), 10gal Dennerle ($80ish), 10gal JBJ AIOs (2 types - one isn't a cube.)

Also a couple smaller Lifegard AIOs for under $50 and 10L/2.5gal Dennerle cubes for $23. They're not good for anything other than shrimp or maybe micro crabs. Probably be great for QT. But they're (the Dennerle tanks) well-built and include glass lids. Stick a little sponge filter in and they're perfect for shrimp. Ideal for Halocaridina rubra (Hawaiian Red Shrimp) - which won't require a filter.

Flourite is the cheapest I've seen in years. Regular is less than $10 for a large bag. $11ish for dark. $13ish for black and black sand. 15lbs of Brightwell substrate (Florinvolcanit Rio Cafe - extra fine, brown) for $27. Brightwell stuff buffers water parameters pretty well for certain types of shrimp and $27 is cheap for "fine" granule buffering substrate. It'll hold kH 0, gH 5 water stable for a long time.

Tons of filter media. RO filter systems and parts. Pumps, overflows, plumbing parts, gobs of heaters. A lot of this stuff is cheaper than wholesale and is ideal for planted tanking. High-end brands.

Just wanted to bump this up there for folks in the hobby who want to save a few bucks. The past 18 months have been crazy for all of us.
Okay, so I went back and ordered more. ;)

·
Super Moderator
17,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Still some good deals to be had. Just dropping these here in case anyone is on the hunt for them.

Eheim 2215 for $77

Cheap Eheim spraybar that will work with just about any canister filter

CaribSea 20lb substrates like Peace River for $16ish

6-watt ReefBreeders Planted Freshwater LED that'd be perfect for, say, a small cube

Tons of liquid ferts for cheap - one of the few times buying liquid ferts isn't a waste (shipping is $5.99 if you don't hit their minimum)

RO/DI fittings and a couple good filter systems worth checking out

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.