The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tap water is insanely hard. The last time I tested it I stopped putting drops of test solution in when the GH was 30. I figured at that point it didn't matter exactly how high it was. I can't grow HC to save my life. Tried in 4 different tanks at different temperatures with anything from medium to extremely high light. All with high Co2 injection. Substrate used was always Fluval Stratum and dosed with Seachem liquid ferts plus root tabs under the HC. Ultimately the HC just melts after about a week. Tried HC that was grown emersed and submerged with the same results. Will HC grow in super hard water or am I fighting a losing battle? I recently started using RO water in my 30c to see if my tap water was the real issue but I wanted to ask before waiting to see what happened. Any input appreciated...

·
Registered
934 Posts
Not sure where the tipping point is for HC, but I grow it just fine in my 17 dgH/14 dkH water. After months of trimming my HC carpet, I got sick of mowing it down...I'd make a switch to a less demanding plant.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure where the tipping point is for HC, but I grow it just fine in my 17 dgH/14 dkH water. After months of trimming my HC carpet, I got sick of mowing it down...I'd make a switch to a less demanding plant.
At this point its mostly a matter of pride. Lol. I will get HC to grow no matter what. Glosso also won't grow for me either. So annoying.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts