The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone -

I have a three week old 37 gallon planted tank with a canister CO2 system and every night I have been told to unplug the CO2 canister while the lights are off. When I wake up the system won't create bubbles in the diffuser and there seems to be water in the tubing line or possibly glycerin (which I was told to place in the bubble counter). I had a check valve on the line yesterday but that got liquid in it so I cut that out and need a new one which I will have to get this coming week. However, in the meantime I want to understand what the problem is. Each morning I have to cut a new piece of tubing that is dry and start over.

I have two questions: what am I doing wrong to cause the water/glycerin in the line? And, how can I dry out my tubing so I can re-use it?

Thanks very much!

Lainey Alexander

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
If you turn off co2, water will fill the co2 line up till it gets toe the check valve. When you turn on co2, it will push water back out through the line and eventually out of the diffuser. Hopefully, your check valve is in between diffuser and bubble counter so you shouldn't have clycerin in the line. If you are using pressurized co2, I wouldn' worry about water in the line as long as the check valve is in the right place (after the bubble counter). The co2 pressure will push the water out of the line and even out of the diffuser.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
You should be able to see the water being pushed out of the co2 line when the co2 is turned on. I use paintball tanks and when I take the empty one off, the co2 line and diffuser starts filling with water. As soon as I get a full tank online, the water is pushed out and bubbles are visable in a few moments.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think this is fairly normal. It could just be co2 slowly contracting/going into solution that lets the water back up into the lines. As long as it doesn't get past the needle valve I would say no problem.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. The problem I'm having is that when I turn on the system in the morning there are no air bubbles coming out of the diffuser - basically at all even if I wait several hours. The only recourse seems to be switching out the tubing for dry tubing. But from what people are saying, water in the line should not be causing this problem, and yet switching out the tubing for dry seems to indicate that liquid in the line is the problem.

???

Also, if I can't get a new check valve for a few days is something really bad potentially going to happen?

Thanks so much,

Lainey

·
Registered
206 Posts
Try moving the check valve closer to the bubble counter.
If your co2 tank isn't near empty I wouldn't worry about not having a check valve for a couple days.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
a little water in your line i think is normal. i think you have 2 issues that is causing your diffusor problem. when was the last time you cleaned it (let it soak in bleach or whatever it is that you do with a diffusor) and the water in your line.

i think your diffusor is getting dirty and when you get water in your line you're having trouble pushing it back through.

i read somewhere that when you get a diffusor you should get another one as a backup. that way when its time to soak one diffusor for a cleaning you can hook up the other one without interruption

1 - 7 of 7 Posts