The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
All peaceful community fish.
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I look forward to reading the posts from everyone and learning from your experiences.

I have a low tech 36 gal. tank. I have only used root tabs and Excel in the past, but have just gotten the tank over an algae bloom. The tank is about 8 years old, but I had to get new lights and then I made the mistake of over cleaning my filter media.

After water changes, a UV filter, (and about 2 months of anxiety), the tank looks great. I was researching online and found a couple of forums that discussed using ferts for my plants. I bought some Thrive and have dosed once, a bit lower than what was recommended.

I was wondering what your opinion is about using liquid ferts once a week?

Thanks for any responses,
D

·
Registered
349 Posts
I do smaller water changes10-20 percent and dose easy green once a week. I'm going to add some potassium soon but so far haven't needed to do much else. My shrimps, snails, and otos do a god job of algae control.

Reactions: Dreamroper

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! This is only the second algae bloom I've had and the first was when I was cycling the tank. It was totally my fault, and always learning.
Griznatch-What does the potassium do ?

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have really soft water out of my tap and I keep invertebrates, so I have to remineralize my water and can't rely entirely on an AIO fertilizer. In addition, in my low bioload/medium light tank I dose Thrive and in my heavily stocked/low light tank I'm just adding Equilibrium these days. I have talked some smack about Equilibrium before (and it still doesn't make sense for remineralizing water with all that K), but in a low energy tank dirted tank with a lot of fish that seems to be all I need.

·
Banned
628 Posts
Thanks! This is only the second algae bloom I've had and the first was when I was cycling the tank. It was totally my fault, and always learning.
Griznatch-What does the potassium do ?
I think you can dose macros once a week. Micros might have to be dosed more often IMO. Potassium keeps your plants from getting holes in their leaves. Whenever I see holes, I add more Potassium. I feel you on that filter fail. It's a mistake I'll never make again.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Oh my gosh, I thought my YoYo loaches were chewing on my sword leaves! I definitely need more potassium.
Okay, I just went to Amazon and bought some Seachem potassium. I don't know if dosing with the Thrive will give it all the potassium it needs, so I thought that I should supplement with the Seachem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.