The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Plant Clown
4,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen a how-to come up in awhile, so i figured I'd share.

I've always dosed dry ferts. Originally I'd mix them in mugs (irons separate) with tank water, but shortly began dumping them directly into the tank. Scooping out doses for 4 different CO2-injected tanks per week was getting old, so I decided to go with liquids. I wasn't sure exactly how concentrated I could make a liquid ferts formula, so I started (using a dosing bottle with a 1oz doser) with 1oz as the dose for my main, 30g high-tech tank. I was able to completely dissolve a basic dose, per ounce (tweaked suggested EI dosing for 20-40g tank), of:

1/4tsp KNO3
1/16tsp KH2PO4
1/32tsp GH Booster
1/32tsp KSO4

As per recommended EI dosing, 1oz will be added to the tank 3x per week. Chems were dissolved into distilled water. Next time I'll increase the concentration a bit. I wasn't sure which chems might have difficulty dissolving, and at what concentrations, so I started with something basic. I have two 32oz dosing bottles, and the CSM+B (1/16tsp) and iron chelate (1/32tsp) will go in the 2nd bottle. I'll add a post here if there are any surprising developments.

·
Registered
528 Posts
You can use my fertilizer iphone app to find exact concentrations :)
Nice. Any android version in the pipeline, as apple have not taken over the world just yet ;)

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
you can google the concentration in solution maximum for each of these chemicals. THe max for csm is not relevant because it isn't necessary.

I would leave it where you have it. When you approach the maximum it gets very tricky. For me to make my solutions requires some patience and a little trickery. For the diy hobbyist it just isn't necessary.

·
Registered
472 Posts
haha.. actually I used it today. I changed up my dosing a little, and when I started to add it to my tank, it seemed awfully high. My computer is upstairs and my tank is in the basement, so I just used my phone to double check :)

·
Plant Clown
4,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Other than an obnoxious clump of GH Booster at the bottom of the bottle, that I ended up having to crush with a chopstick, there were no problems dissolving anything. I dosed with the bottles for the first time today (after a marathon 5-hour, multiple tank 'scaping challenge), and it took about 60 seconds between three tanks. Gotta say, dosing bottles are pretty neat.

Anyway, to recap, the recommended daily EI dose for a 20-40g tank dissolves into 1oz of distilled water with no problems. Yes, I know it's been done before. But there's nothing like the satisfaction of proving it to yourself :)

Got the bottles from US Plastics, btw. I was just ordering some tubing, and figured I'd give it a shot. Also picked up a couple graduated cylinders for 4dKH purposes. But that's a future experiment.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
You can also buy various pump dispenser heads for the bottles BTW, 10 mls, 1 mls etc per pump etc.

Then it's easier.

I use them for the marine dosing where the levels are more controlled for good reasons, but still do the dry ferts for the FW except for Traces.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts