The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently introduced carbon to remove tannins in my water and was wondering if activated carbon removes liquid excel, nitrogen, potassium, etc from my water column?

I can't find a definitive answer online.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
i am not 100% on this, but seems people here say that it is okay to use with ferts. It might remove some no3 but thats about it. I use carbon in my filter every once and a while with no ill effects..but thats just my personal observations.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Liquid Ferts and Carbon

I recently introduced carbon to remove tannins in my water and was wondering if activated carbon removes liquid excel, nitrogen, potassium, etc from my water column?

I can't find a definitive answer online.

Cheers.
Hello a...

Carbon is fine to use in the tank and it will remove tank odors and to a small extent work as a small particle filter, but large, frequent water changes will do much more to keep the tank water clear and clean.

I use small cabon treated, polyfiber pads in my tanks and they work well to "polish" the water. But, you'll do much more to keep the water stable and clean by removing and replacing half the tank water weekly.

B

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I already do weekly water changes. I just added the carbon because I introduced some new driftwood and wanted the tank to be clearer when I got back from work. It was more of a quick fix.

Is it bad to run carbon in my filter permanently? I just want to make sure it does not render my ferts and excel useless.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.