The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
I personally use the ADA series simply because it's just 4 squirts a day to dose a 20 gallon aquarium, and because I didn't mind paying the price.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I recently started using Yamato Green I've seen a major difference in just the first few weeks (i used their Iron as well for extra iron since I think there has been a deficiency). I used to use flourish, florapride, and some pretty expensive stuff called plant 24 - none of them have every shown the results of Yamato Green! I'm getting a lot of pearling, DEEP reds, and very strong, green leaves. I'm really happy i found it. They sell direct at www.yamatogreen.com. I highly recommend trying it! Hope someone tries it out! Let me know if your results are as good as mine!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't know that my needs can constitute BULK anything. ;-) I thought the Yamato was priced pretty well, and it's all mixed up already. Plus it comes in a bottle that measures for you. It's brainless. I like that! 30ml twice a week and I'm set!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm not a plant nutrition EXPERT, but I'll try and answer that to the best I can. K is included in their formula, P is supplied by the fish- N is included in Yamato N, but is also present from the fish waste after it's converted. (If N is lacking you can use the Yamato N). If you seen GREEN plants turning red when they shouldn't, you would need to add some form of N. If you add phosphorus, you're VEry likely to have an algae boom. Fishfood is good enough for P. I think this is th eonly stuff that includes K in it. If your plants are getting holes int he leaves (not from snails) you need to add K. Anyway -as I said, i'm not an expert, I just know some stuff about what plants need, and I know the results I see! It's worth a try is all I'm saying. :-D

·
Registered
174 Posts
FWIW, the Yamoto sounds reads like it's just Micros. How do you dose N, P, and K?
Yamato Green "N" and "K" sells separately. They dont have one for Phosphates. They state that you get enough phosphates from fish food and any more than that will cause algae growth.

Thoughts?

I recently started using Yamato Green I've seen a major difference in just the first few weeks (i used their Iron as well for extra iron since I think there has been a deficiency). I used to use flourish, florapride, and some pretty expensive stuff called plant 24 - none of them have every shown the results of Yamato Green! I'm getting a lot of pearling, DEEP reds, and very strong, green leaves. I'm really happy i found it. They sell direct at www.yamatogreen.com. I highly recommend trying it! Hope someone tries it out! Let me know if your results are as good as mine!
Kkentert,

Keep us posted in the coming weeks/months with your results. I would be interested to know how you do with this product in the long run. Remember to use their N and K version as well. Also for iron use, I think you should cut back on dosing iron after 3 or 4 weeks because the uptake of iron will eventually slow down as your plants start getting an ample supply.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Sorry should have been clearer. I saw they have their own versions of N & K, but was wondering how kkentert was personally dosing his N, P, and K.
Not saying it's not worth a try, that's how the hobby grows.

I use Fish food and waste in a low tech tank, but I don't feel like it would be adequate in a high light, high tech fast growing tank.

Walter

·
Registered
137 Posts
Alexplosive - I have cut back on the iron already. I had a test kit, and they were eating it up like CRAZY before, I stopped adding extra dosing once they cut back on eating it up so fast. I haven't used yamato N or K yet. I've been doing great with regular Yamato green. but I deff. keep you posted.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ah- see the last answer-I haven't used the other yet. Everything seems to be fine with just the fish load and feedings.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Alexplosive - I have cut back on the iron already. I had a test kit, and they were eating it up like CRAZY before, I stopped adding extra dosing once they cut back on eating it up so fast. I haven't used yamato N or K yet. I've been doing great with regular Yamato green. but I deff. keep you posted.
At some point you're definitely going to need to dose some potassium (K). You might be able to get away with not dosing (N) very often if you have a decent fish load and if your tap contains some nitrates to begin with. Just test and find out if you can maintain between 5 and 10 PPM's. If you are constantly below 5 then maybe you should dose just a little. The cheapest and most accurate way of doing it is if you get it in dry form from Greg Watson. 1 small bag should last you a very long time. Then you can use Chuck's Calculator to know how much you should dose. Just be sure to raise the PPM of nitrates gradually throughout a few days. A nitrate spike can be deadly to fish.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
kkentert,

You used to use Flourish which really isn't a fertilizer at all. Now you have switched to another liquid nutrient that may or may not legally be able to be sold as a fertilizer.

You have not tried bulk dry nutrients which are the cheapest and most accurate way to control what goes into your tank.

You would make a good used car salesman.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.