The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently dose Seachem Flourish for micros and Tetra FloraPride for Fe and K. I'm thinking that 0I may not be giving my plants enough nutrients since they haven't been growing that much, so what do you guys think I should start adding? I'm not really looking into dry ferts right now, so liquid ferts only, please.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I've been pretty happy with the Pfertz line. Since my total tankage is under 100g, it's reasonably priced and convenient. Micro/macro mix in liquid, root tabs for my heavy feeders. Was very happy to find the tabs are easy to break into smaller pieces for more precise placement.

·
Super Moderator
12,131 Posts
Would dosing N and P have a significant impact on plant growth? Sorry, I'm new to fertilizer dosing.
Yes; plants require macronutrients and micronutrients. We need to provide three macronutrients (nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium) to plants in order for them to grow.

Without these nutrients, plants will not do well.

For more information regarding fertilization and plant well being, please take a look at my guide to planted aquariums, linked in my signature below.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes; plants require macronutrients and micronutrients. We need to provide three macronutrients (nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium) to plants in order for them to grow.

Without these nutrients, plants will not do well.

For more information regarding fertilization and plant well being, please take a look at my guide to planted aquariums, linked in my signature below.
Sorry, I meant to say that since fish already produce N and p, would it change the growth rate much?

·
Super Moderator
12,131 Posts
Sorry, I meant to say that since fish already produce N and p, would it change the growth rate much?
In high light conditions, plants will absorb nitrates and phosphates that are a product of fish biological waste faster than they can be produced; if you do not dose fertilizers in these conditions, then the plants will starve.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In high light conditions, plants will absorb nitrates and phosphates that are a product of fish biological waste faster than they can be produced; if you do not dose fertilizers in these conditions, then the plants will starve.
All of my tanks are medium light and moderately stocked. Based off this, how much increased growth do you think I would get I I started dosing Seachem Nitrogen & Phosphorus?

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
The nutrients available from fish food is barely enough for low light tanks. Usually it does supply enough N and P, and usually most micros.

But when you have more light and less fish the plants need more nutrients. If you want to stick with wet or are willing to start with dry does not matter. I would start adding all the ferts that you are not already using at the rate suggested on the bottle, then adjust as needed.
Fast growing plants that are just sitting there will take off a lot faster once they have the fertilizers that are now limiting their growth. You might not notice much improvement in slow growing plants.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.