The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LFS carries a product in a little glass vial call "liquid CO2" and you suction cup it to the glass on the inside of your tank. The planted tank at the store had one inside...what is it and what does it do? Does it work as well as having a CO2 system?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I have no idea what this is, but I'll give the short answer because I know it is true...
NOTHING works as well as a real co2 system. There are "substitutes" that fill in some of the basic needs for carbon, but never as well as co2.

I've never heard of a "liquid co2" that you put in a suction cup canister in tank.... a pic or brand name would be very useful for us to give any actual advice. However, my first comment still stands and I'll likely just repeat it when we know more....

:)

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have no idea what this is, but I'll give the short answer because I know it is true...
NOTHING works as well as a real co2 system. There are "substitutes" that fill in some of the basic needs for carbon, but never as well as co2.

I've never heard of a "liquid co2" that you put in a suction cup canister in tank.... a pic or brand name would be very useful for us to give any actual advice. However, my first comment still stands and I'll likely just repeat it when we know more....

:)
I'll second that!!!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Kinda sounds like flourish excel, but it sounds like it somehow slowly drips out from the glass vial into the tank, the way you describe it being just being submerged in the tank instead of pouring out doses. There is no way it works as well as real co2.

·
Registered
138 Posts
What if the CO2 is pressurized to the point where it is a liquid? Kinda like how butane is a liquid in lighters but when it the pressure is released it becomes gaseous.

·
Registered
537 Posts
What if the CO2 is pressurized to the point where it is a liquid? Kinda like how butane is a liquid in lighters but when it the pressure is released it becomes gaseous.

I don't think glass could hold the presure required for CO2 to go into a liquid state. The glass would burst from the excessive pressure. Or the glass would have to be reeeaaalllllyyyy thick.:D

Best wishes,
Wes

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I'm going with the consensus of gluteraldehyde because I hate to call someone dishonest without knowing more, but honestly, I think it's more likely full of snake oil. You can find homeopathic vets in the UK (yes, they actually license the quacks) using homeopathic medicine on fish for goodness sake (the fish might OD from the additional dilution!!!), why not try the same thing on aquarium plants and take advantage of the placebo effect?

Even if this were the case, the amount of CO2 in the vial would be very small. I've not seen it, but from what I'm imagining it would be smaller than the 80g (or whatever mass they are) cartridges used on those crazy nano setups. It's going to get expensive fast. :)

Heck, even if it's not CO2 under 850psi pressure, the amount of available carbon in a little glass vial is just not going to be substantial, and that vial isn't going to last at all. Unless it's nearly free to buy they aren't going to be economical in the long run.

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
My LFS carries a product in a little glass vial call "liquid CO2" and you suction cup it to the glass on the inside of your tank. The planted tank at the store had one inside...what is it and what does it do? Does it work as well as having a CO2 system?
Ive used that before and quite expensive. When I do weekly partial water change, liquid CO2 is flush out.

Pressurized Co2 is still the best option.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Excel is not liquid CO2, nor is glutaraldehyde or any other similar product. Liquid CO2 is CO2 under enough pressure to be liquid - that pressure is around 800 psi. Any other product labeled as "liquid CO2" is a scam, a fraud, etc.

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
i googled it and got this from another forum....

Natural Aquarium Carbonator. Liquid, time released CO2 for your planted freshwater aquarium. This non-toxic liquid additive enhances the ability of plants and microbes to obtain nutrients and energy from water and light. Transports vital nutrients and CO2 to plants. Will not cause pH shifts. No need for CO2 cylinders, controllers, or monitors. Reduces the need for fertilization. 16 oz. bottle will treat a 50 gallon tank for up to 3 months.

this may be it and I think marc weiss sells it :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.