The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi yall i was wondering about liquid carbon and oxygen aireation in my tank? I know with gas co2 if you have to much aireation the corbon will dissapate. Does the same go for lquid carbon too? Thanks,
Dfish

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
No, "liquid" carbon products like Flourish Excel will not be off gassed through aeration.
While they won't be gassed off they can cause melting with certain species of plants. Anything in the val family will melt from my experience

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
i have heard many people say this but I have never had a val melt from using excel/liquid co2
I've had it happen in the different tanks personally.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had vals and anacharis melt off with Excel once. I discovered it was due to the higher dosing at water changes. Since then I only dose the daily amount or double at most during changes and found they not only become tolerant but can even thrive over time.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I had vals and anacharis melt off with Excel once. I discovered it was due to the higher dosing at water changes. Since then I only dose the daily amount or double at most during changes and found they not only become tolerant but can even thrive over time.
When API started selling their alternative to Excel they showed a test that was intended to show the superiority of their product vs. Excel. But, what it actually showed was that these types of products do cause damage to a few plants, notably Vals, when dosed at higher than the daily dosage recommendation. Since API didn't recommend the big post water change dosage, and Seachem did, that made API's product look more effective, in that good growth of Vals started immediately with their product, while it was delayed by the damage with Seachem's product.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.