The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here use LinkedIn for their professional lives? If so, have you found it to be beneficial in any way? My school's alumni department has suggested it as a way for me to, well, network... but it seems a little too reminiscent of social networking sites like myspace and facebook.

Admittedly, it does seem more geared toward professional networking, and there aren't any polls claiming to tell me what kind of barnyard animal or mineral I would be... but still... I pretty much roll my eyes at sites like facebook and myspace.

Since I'm trying to get back into independent contract work in my field, it seems somewhat promising, and I'm willing to give anything a try at this point.

Anyone use it?

·
Registered
166 Posts
At my college they are always telling us to use it for networking so when we graduate we have some contacts in the industry. I have signed up for it but have not really done anything with it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'd recommend using it for business and professional purposes.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I use it. I'm in real estate, and I've found it useful to keep in touch and keep track of past contacts and old coworkers. However, I've found activity on that site to be rather sparse, and it's more an online rolodex than anything else.

However, I also use Facebook (and I have a Farmville up and running, yes yes...), and I've found that to be a much better asset for keeping up with people I'm closer to and friendlier with, including very close coworkers and my classmates from grad school, college, and even high school. You never know who will get you your next job.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I did get a job offer off of there once. It also tells you who's been looking at your profile, so you get a good idea of what kind of attention your profile attracts as well as the availability of local businesses hiring in your area. I've a physics degree, and it attracted some engineering firms with military ties as well as more specialized areas that I didn't even think to apply to. Also a friend's father found a temp job refining chem. processes in egypt from of pre-existing connections he ran into again while he was on there. As far as producing actual jobs for me, not so much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts