The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed this ever since I have planted Limnophila indica in my tank, that it "opens" its leaves in the morning and starts to close them just before the lights go off (about 30 minutes to an hour). Does this correspond with lights or CO2 coming on and off?

When the plants close up they look exactly as if you were holding it upside down outside of the tank.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Awesome. It's so neat because they start to "sleep" before my lights even turn off. I guess this shows the importance of keeping things on a schedule.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
This happens with all of the stem plants in my tanks except for my h. lancea and hyptis lorentzianna. My limnophila aromatica, ludwigia suffruticosa, rotala singapore, and rotala macrandra all do this. very interesting!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yep, I just noticed the same thing. I have Limnophila aquatica in my new tank. I didn't know about the "opening and closing" until I used a flashlight to look in my tank in the middle of the night. Very cool.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It really is neat. Mine actually closed a fallen ludwigia repens leaf up inside of itself, like a Venus fly trap

1 - 9 of 9 Posts