Overall: Moderately Easy
Country of Origin: Southeast Asia
Overall Height: 12 to 24 inches
Position in Aquascape: Rear

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hi Fender, I think this is a wonderful idea so here is my .02

I've had great results with this plant in 82 degrees, so you can bump up the temp range, my ph is 6.2-6.4

Not as purple as that pic, but it does have nice lavendar/pink to the undersides of the leaves, with more green on the top, it definitely does better closer to the lights, so you should plan to let it grow tall.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have this plant and it grows well. Not as purple as this picture either. My tank is 82 to 83 degrees so it does ok in warm water. I would not call the growth fast though. Mine grows 2 or 3 inches a week. I used this to replace some Hygro polysperma now that grew fast.

It grows lot of roots. I have been pulling up the plants when they reach the surface and cutting off the bottoms and replanting the tops. This seems to work ok. It does not branch well into hedge from me experience. But maybe I do not know how to do it with this plant.

My water is pretty hard 6 KH and GH base PH about 7.8. I do inject CO2 down to 6.4.

Rick

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have it in 2 tanks at 2.2 and 2.5 wpg. Much greener, but reddens up near the top. Temp is 82-85; growth is moderate 1-2 inches/wk; kh 10; gh 13. Very few aerial roots, but planted stem is well rooted. Love the plant!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I find the plant is difficult to grow beyond the limit of around 40cm tall. Growth is fast initially until it gets root and tall enough.

Top side is green with some tint of purple.

Underside is purple.

Lack of light will cause greening of leaves. Sufficient light will encourage colour development to yellowish, reddish or purplish top.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Mine grows much better the closer to the light source it gets, the one drawback to that is, by the time it gets there, the bottom parts of the plant are getting ratty, so I cut off and replant the tops. Its doing pretty well though and looks most like the ones in medicineman's 1st picture. My tank is set to approx 76 degrees.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got his plant last week, the new leaves are turning green.So I guess i do not have enough lighting. Thanks you for the info.
-------------------------------------------------------------
21gallons Jebo aquarium
2 flouressunt lights 2 x 30 watt

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Not really the case. Limnophila tends to lose its deep reddish color when you dose Nitrates too much. By saying too much I mean normal EI type dosing will wash out the color. Low Nitrates make for deeper reds.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Um, if I chop this plant in half and plant the top half, will the bottom half grow again like water wisteria does? Is this just a general trait of stem plants?

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Yes, it's a stem plant and you can top it off like any normal stem plant. Both halves will grow like any other stem plant; the bottom part will branch where you cut the top off from.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Sweet! have I ever mentioned on here that I love stemplants? I keep thinking there's gonna be an exception to the stemplant rule of propogation... but not yet!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have a very similar plant that I thought was Eusterellis Stellata (sp?). It's not real red either, but I have had VERY high Nitrates lately. I've noticed that after I have backed off on my dosing (only dosing Flourish Excel) all of my red plants are looking better.

Tommy

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Isn't low nitrates kind of a catch-22? You need to keep them low in order to bring out the reds in some plants, but some plants melt away if No3 gets too low. I've had this happen to elatine trianda more than once. It likes plenty of No3.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
...or ya go too low and bga creeps up ya

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Here was a typical look I got with moderate dosing, mostly from fish waste etc.
I need to get some more, as I tossed it all with a re-start.

·
Registered
517 Posts
That looks more like pogostemon stellatus. There are two variations, borad and thin leaf. You have the broad leaf variety while I've got the thin leaf variety most people associate with the name stellatus. In the photo below, the stellata is left center and the aromatica is on the right.

Limnophila aromatica has decussate leaves, pairs of opposite leaves that alternate 90 degrees at each successive node. The picture on pg 399 of Kasselman isn't the best since it an emersed shot but the description is good. You can see a better photo in Pablo Tepoot's photo book on pg 157, which is the same as in the photo.

Nice plant neverthe less.

Attachments

·
Registered
974 Posts
I'll have to recheck Kasselman's description but I have to disagree with you g8way....the pics in this thread all look like L. aromatica. The plant to the far right in your picture doesn't look like any aromatica I've seen before....

It can be quite difficult to tell P. stellatus 'broad leaf' and L. aromatica apart sometimes. They both have the whorled leaves in appearance, as well as similar leaf colorations. The easiest way I've found out to differentiate between the two is that L. aromatica has a distinct 'aroma' when you cut the stems or crush the leaves.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts