The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone,

I went ahead and cut two of my larger stems of l. aromatica and replanted the tops. I cut right in between two nodes. My question is, will the portion below the cut suffer in any way? The reason i ask is that i haven't seen anything grow out of that cut area and its been a few days.

Also, not all of my stems are growing at the same pace. Matter of fact, the stems that have less purple are growing faster than my purple ones. They all get the same amt of light. Maybe i'm just a little over concerned.

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
L. aromatica will only get purple/red under high intense light. Some say they'll get red with no N in your tank as well. To answer your question if you have optimum conditions which seems like you do, the stump will sprout new shoots off of its sides soon. Maybe not in a matter of a few days but give it some time. The reason why your stems are not growing at the same pace 'is' your lights. I'm betting on anything that the faster growing stems get more light from their planted positions in the tank. This plant can get pretty robust if given the right conditions. The stems will become fat and shoot out many many side shoots.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have over 4 watts per gallon with a 260 watt PC over a 48" 60 gallon tank with two 10000K and two 6700K bulbs. The aromatica is planted just right of center. The plants that are actually growing faster are in the rear with the prettier purple stems in the center of the bunch. The leaves are very robust and i'm a bit suprised that the lower leaves are still in tact given that they are so bushy that little light pentrates down.

I dose with sea chem ferts and have flourite black substrate. When the occassional stem is uprooted by my discus, i'm a little concerned to see that there is little root growth coming from the bottom of the stems.

my temp is 82 F. Is that the problem?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.