The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried planting limnophila from the Asian grocer? We have a great Asian market here, and they carry tons of fresh herbs. I can get a fat bundle of it there for less than half the cost.

Just wondering if anyone had successfully grown this plant from the grocery store instead of from an aquarium plant supplier. Obviously the plants would be emersed form at the grocer, but most plants from aquarium shops are emersed anyway.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I would be concerned about potential pesticide contamination.
It’s an aromatic herb used in SE Asian dishes, so it’s better be pesticide free for consumption. It has a rosemary, lemon, basil taste good for soup and salad.

I grow it emerged in wet soil and in the aquarium. It sends out water roots quickly if you stick fresh stems in a jar of water. In aquarium, the transformed leaves are narrower and denser, but stay lime green and never attain the pink color as ornamental aquarium strains. Dennis Wong has an article of the species.

Attachments

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wondered about coloration on culinary strains vs ornamental ones.

Because it grows so fast and is a bit heftier, I want to give it a go in the tank with the salad-loving goldfish (while keeping some safely in another planted tank in case things don't work out). Finding plants that can stand up to his appetite is a major undertaking, and it's getting expensive.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I've grown it with no problems. You can find Persicaria odorata in the same place and that works as well (green leaves and a bright red stem).

What you see in the grocery store is true aromatica. The plant with more leaves per whorl and the purplish color has been lumped under aromatica by some authors but should probably be considered its own species, Limnophila hippuridoides (NOT "hippuroides"). No genetic work has been done as far as I know but the preponderance of the evidence shows a distinction, IMO.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I've grown it with no problems. You can find Persicaria odorata in the same place and that works as well (green leaves and a bright red stem).

What you see in the grocery store is true aromatica. The plant with more leaves per whorl and the purplish color has been lumped under aromatica by some authors but should probably be considered its own species, Limnophila hippuridoides (NOT "hippuroides"). No genetic work has been done as far as I know but the preponderance of the evidence shows a distinction, IMO.
Persicaria odorata is unlike limo aromatica and will not survive permanently submerged. I grow it in outdoor garden in summer along with Limno aromatica. The growing requirements of both herb is the opposite of Mediterranean herb preferring wet to even poor drain soil. Limno aromatic is perennial under water, but if grown emerged will decline after flowering. I cannot keep Limno alive in indoor pot longer than a year even if I deadhead flower buds promptly so it is probably an annual.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.