The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
does this limnophila aromatica look is it getting a nutrient deficiency or am i being a little paranoid and its just changing its color?
i have been dosing according to EI and adding extra potassium via k2so4
260watts cf lighting and injected co2
(drop checker is in the yellow always)
1.5 tsp kno3 every other day
.5 tsp kh2po4
.5 tsp k2so4
.5 tsp csm-b
.5 tsp chelated Fe
50%-60% water change every sunday
*forgot to add this is a 60lx18wx24d tank roughly 125 gal
the edges of the leaves towards the tips seem to be turning brownish...
some of the undersides of the leaves are pink/purple-ish and some of them seem to be a very light color... close to white...
does the white undersides indicate a trace deficiency?

do i have a diatom problem? i was recently having diatoms on the substrate but that went away

view pics below.
also the plants seem to be turning a more golden green color overall

also as you can see in this pic the leaves seem to be starting to point downward at the tips...

·
Registered
273 Posts
DEFINITELY no guru here, but I can see that it is possibly a lack of lighting due to the fact that your leaves are green and not pink/reddish. If not...then consider this a buuump ttt

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
well i have read where someone has grown it under 1.8 wpg and it turned red/purple fine... and this "person" was definitely no amateur
so *DrinkTheYeastMix with what you are saying* that should mean as the closer it gets to the light it should start to turn red? they have not turned yet and have been almost to the top of the tank
i have also read that nitrate starving this plant can bring out the reds or enhance the reds but that it is not a good option to pursue... as it could lead to bga and other problems...
hmm but not being red is not my main concern it is if the plants are healthy...
im worried more about the brown tips and the undersides of some of the plants being closer to a white color...

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
It definitely appears to me like there are some diatoms coating the leaves. It's not much, but it could get worse I suppose. Maybe throw a few otos in there?

As far as the color, that's not as formulaic as you are thinking it is. High-light does not always equate to red plants. Many people agree that it is plentiful iron that brings out the colors (I am in this category), but it's still arguable. I'm pretty new to L. aromatica, so I'm no expert, but I'm growing it right now in my 10g and it is very healthy, and just now starting to get a more noticeable reddish tinge, but it is still mostly green. I just began adding liquid Iron to my dosing routine to see what happens with it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bsmith i have actually read that before posting... but thanks that was a useful thread to an extent for me. it kind of rules out that you man have had a different variants of l aromatica for the color...
but my aromatica had nice purple undersides on them when they were sent to me.. after i planted them all of the new growth turned bright green...

i was originally only dosing
kno3 / 1.5 tsp
k2so4 / .5 tsp
csm-b / .5 tsp
for a week or so and the growth was completely green

a few weeks ago i had added
'.5 tsp / chelated Fe
.5 tsp / kh2po4
the leaves started to look as if they were picking up some color on the undersides turning a light pink/ light red and some of them turned white on the undersides...
now also the plants have been turning a more golden green overall..
and i guess i have been having a diatom outbreak... need to fix that...

*i also want to note that my HC pearls regularly everyday all over.... so i think my co2 and flow is good...

what will help with the diatoms? some more water changes and time?

maybe its time i go find some test kits...

also bsmith how did your colored up l aromatica end up looking in your tank... did the colors fade or stay strong

·
Registered
992 Posts
I've kept this plant with nice bright colorful results on 2 x 54w T5HO over the 75gallon tank. I was running mineralized soil though, so maybe they like a nice rich substrate. What is your substrate?

another thing that's been speculated is that having a lean water column where nitrates is concerned will bring out the red in some plants, but I'm not so sure about that one.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i actually got these plants from you jargonchipmunk

leaning out the nitrates i have read is a bad idea... while it may bring out some reds it can be disastrous for your tank

i was definitely thinking the substrate may have an intricate part of this plant growing well..
i am using turface capped with pool filter sand...so not nutrient rich at all...
i may throw some root tabs underneath. and see what that does...
if seems like the plant is wanting to color up but just cant.. and since there is no fertilizer in the substrate maybe if it gets to absorb some via the roots more it will explode

im also starting to think that pool filter sand AKA silica sand is a cause for many peoples diatom outbreaks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts